Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P228R 10 cases Range Report, and detail strip (56k - lots of pictures)

Feedback Score

Sig P228R 10 cases Range Report, and detail strip (56k - lots of pictures)

Well broke 10 cases this week end, logging officially (probably had a couple hundred unlogged rounds) 10,024 rounds through my P228R.

Starting on 03/25/2009 (mistyped it as 03/25/2010), followed up with a total of 55 range trips where it was shot, including 13 training classes for 103 hours of training.

Not too much wear on the important parts, just a couple of chips missing on the bottom of the frame rails, with the same streaks from the 5k picture on the top of the rails. I did expect a bit more wear on the controls, my P226R SCT had much more wear at the same point in it's life.

Since I am following the parts replacement schedule I replace the recoil spring, roll pins, slide lock spring, and decocking lever spring. I also replaced the main spring since I run a reduced power main spring (18lbs).

I also mainly shoot two magazines that came with it for my range time. Not being cheap (I have over 20 P228/P229 9mm mags), just wanted to see where they will break, they are only cleaned when they malfunction, and dropped 50 or so times per a range trip. Those have been functioning 100% despite being EXTREMELY dirty.

Anyways this might be my last update on this gun for a while. Since it's my EDC I have to clean it after every range trip. Also since parts availability for the carbon steel slides is iffy I don't want to push it too much. So I've decided that my P229R 22 Classic, with it's Caliber X-change kit will be my weekly shooter.

I am still going to carry my P228R, and I will be shooting it once a month, but only once a month. My week to week shooting, and training will be done with the P229R.

I've been taking pictures, to track the wear, below are the links to the first two sets.
    New-
    http://www.lazyeights.net/Avion/P228R/

5k-
    http://www.lazyeights.net/Avio...28R_5K_Detail_Strip/

10k-

Last edited by PPGMD; 06-16-10 at 08:09. Reason: I mistyped the date

Feedback Score
    Pictures Cont.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks for posting. The P228 use to be my favorite range gun until the USP Compact 9mm and now the P2000.

Does the X300 have any play on the P228r's rails? I put X300's on my Sigs and there is play sometimes.
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

JHP's are good times, for bad people.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great post and pics, thanks. I like the P228.

Follow-up question... What's the highest round count you achieved between a cleaning and lubrication? Stoppages?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    You can get parts form Topgunsupply.com. They are a major Sig dealer and have all parts, including breech blocks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loupav View Post
    Thanks for posting. The P228 use to be my favorite range gun until the USP Compact 9mm and now the P2000.

Does the X300 have any play on the P228r's rails? I put X300's on my Sigs and there is play sometimes.
    There is a very small amount of play, but not enough to matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Great post and pics, thanks. I like the P228.

Follow-up question... What's the highest round count you achieved between a cleaning and lubrication? Stoppages?
    Highest count between cleanings would've been 1,100. But this is my EDC so it gets cleaned and lubed JIC.

I've taken other Sigs out beyond 2k so I have confidence that this one would do the same.

Outside of the last couple of cases where I was shooting reloaded ammo that got wet, no major issues. Couple of failures to fire (including a primer that popped out during chambering, found it in the grease unfired), a couple of failures to feed, and one double feed (both likely from my lack of magazine cleaning).
    Last edited by PPGMD; 06-13-10 at 21:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrazier View Post
    You can get parts form Topgunsupply.com. They are a major Sig dealer and have all parts, including breech blocks.
    Been eyeing those. But this is much about cleaning after every range trip (being my EDC) as it is about my concern about parts.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    pics look good! i hear those sigs are tanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast