Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about LMT

Feedback Score

Questions about LMT

Hello, first post here. I have been reading and learning alot about different ARs on here since I discovered it. There are alot of people out there like me who never knew about LMT, Sabre, CMG, etc. I have heard all the B.S. at gunshows and shops...."Colt makes M4s for the govt, but Bushmaster makes the M16s" and "Most of the parts in all ARs are made by FN, so you should buy these Model1 uppers..."

I have owned a few ARs in the past, but always non tier 1. After discovering the difference in qualities, I have looked at my current ARs and can see the differences between the very common ARs and these "tier 1" ARs

I want to get a 14.5" carbine. I am thinking about going with LMT lower and upper after reading about the different brands. I have a few questions if you could give me your expert opinions.

1. Other than cost, is there any reason not to go with the Enhanced BCG? Are they generally thought to be as reliable as the standard BCG?

2. Are all LMTs created equally? I know with Colt the civilian vs. government models are supposedly different quality, the civilian isnt milspec? This might be another gunshow myth now that I think about it.

3. Is there any reason why I should go with another brand upper or lower?

Thanks for your consideration.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryP View Post
    2. Are all LMTs created equally? I know with Colt the civilian vs. government models are supposedly different quality, the civilian isnt milspec? This might be another gunshow myth now that I think about it.
    i doubt that is true, i put most gunshow comments in the myth section of my storage device

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryP View Post
    Hello, first post here. I have been reading and learning alot about different ARs on here since I discovered it. There are alot of people out there like me who never knew about LMT, Sabre, CMG, etc. I have heard all the B.S. at gunshows and shops...."Colt makes M4s for the govt, but Bushmaster makes the M16s" and "Most of the parts in all ARs are made by FN, so you should buy these Model1 uppers..."

I have owned a few ARs in the past, but always non tier 1. After discovering the difference in qualities, I have looked at my current ARs and can see the differences between the very common ARs and these "tier 1" ARs

I want to get a 14.5" carbine. I am thinking about going with LMT lower and upper after reading about the different brands. I have a few questions if you could give me your expert opinions.

1. Other than cost, is there any reason not to go with the Enhanced BCG? Are they generally thought to be as reliable as the standard BCG?

3. Is there any reason why I should go with another brand upper or lower?

Thanks for your consideration.
    Disclaimer: I'm not an expert
    Yes Colt makes M4's for the gov't, but FN has the primary contract their M16's. Not sure about BM, although they've made M16's for the gov't in the past (GW1era?)

1. No need to pay for the enhanced bolt when you can buy an extractor upgrade for $4 from Bravo Co. (stronger silicon spring, black bumper & Crane O ring). Really only needed if going below 14", but I have a SBR so it's preferred.

2. LMT makes good stuff, however, there has been some debate about that recently due to purple uppers, not parking under FSB, no F marked FSB, etc. Personal preference I guess. Folks insist on LMT because they supply some uppers to the Navy & USCG for their Mk18Mod0 program, so they must be better right?

3. Again...personal preference due to experience/likes. I would buy CMMG before LMT, but that's me. I will never buy an upper other than CMMG. I just grabbed a SBR upper from CMMG & it's the best piece of war gear I've bought & it's one of those perverbial stubborn shorties. It is truly a joy to deploy. You get more options than the LMT & you can't beat what they give you for the price...i.e., complete bcg. Buy an LMT at $485 + ship w/out a bcg vs. a CMMG for$525 (for mine) with a quality bcg. LMT will cost you over $600 just to get a bcg/charging handle combo after all is said & done. No thanks.

I'm not bashing LMT. I just won't buy one over a CMMG due to the reasons listed above. That's me, but only you can decide what's best for you. Good luck & keep asking questions. This site sure has helped me with a few details!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--

Feedback Score
    Just a FYI the LMT bolt comes with the bolt upgrade already. I have several complete LMT's and never a problem with either. Im a LMT dealer have sold many with no complaints whatsoever. I would just go with the standard FA BCG and skip the enhanced and save a few bucks.

Feedback Score
    I vote go for the LMT.

I've got a 16" LMT upper with LMT standard Defender 2000 lower, I'm satisfied with its quality and I've had quite a bit of Colt pre ban and currently have a Colt 6721 and a Colt Match Target HBAR with a Colt M16A2 upper half.

The best part that I like with the LMT is its barrel and accuracy, their barrels are supplied by Rock Creek Barrels and are processed differently compared to other brands of barrels.

Rock Creek overbores their barrels prior to chrome plating to prevent tolerance stacking and it's a more accurate method before the chrome pating are applied.

Other brands of barrels usually just adjust the bore size by Electropolishing prior to chroming which which have more variable and larger tolerances compared to the less variable and more accurate overboring process of Rock Creek.

I have not heard of too many complaints of owners of the LMT Enhanced BCG, I'm using the standard LMT M16 BCG with properly staked carrier key screws, MPI, shot peened, test fired each and every one (like Colt), and I only upgraded it with chrome silicone springs (no Crane O-ring for now maybe later on).

If you have extra budget go ahead and try the Enhanced BCG it should be fine as is without upgrading it like the standard SA and FA BCGs.

As far as I know from other LMT owners their quality is liked by a majority of guys except for a few with bad finish color (purple) or other rare defects which the factory are willing to fix, no company are immune from this even tier 1 brands.

The only brand I would suggest as an alternate would be the Colt 6921 (14.5" SBR model) but cost a little more.
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    LMT has a solid rep, ISO certified, and supplies numerous m4/m16/m203 and other parts to SOCOM and other services... Bottom line the have a solid QA/QC process.
    Dano, you should go tell that to the Colt nutjobs/collectors over at ARFcom..... they insist and argue that LMT's uppers are not in use with certain units in SOCOM. If you state that the LMT 10.5" is issued to NSW... all hell breaks loose.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    LMT is GTG. Occasionally I see overtorqued barrels. It doesn't effect function, it's just when removing a barrel from an upper that you discover this. I've taken to cutting off the delta ring, snap ring and weld spring with bolt cutters and use a large pipe wrench to loosen the barrel nut. Then I just replace these parts.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I could have sworn that I read on LMT's website, something to the affect of them torquing bbls to about 130 ft lbs!!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    I could have sworn that I read on LMT's website, something to the affect of them torquing bbls to about 130 ft lbs!!!
    I've seen them that high. I've often wondered if the integrity of the aluminum at the receiver is compromised when you torque that high?
    I've torqued barrels as low as 25ft lbs without ill effects.

I find that the least torque required to time the barrel nut seems to provide the most consistent accuracy in an AR. Other things I do contribute to it's overall accuracy but one of the biggies is barrel torque.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all of the replies. I found a dealer to order me up an LMT lower with SOPMOD stock. I am still looking at uppers and trying to decide. I am just looking for the most reliable gun and I dont mind spending a few hundred more. I just bought a new 20" AR and am having to send the upper back to the manufacturer because it took over 20 clicks to sight it in. After researching after the fact I realized these easy to obtain brands take all of these shortcuts just to save a few dollars. I am selling that once it gets back fixed and my other "famous" maker AR to get this one. I appreciate all of your feedback and m4carbine.net for the no nonsense info compared to other sites.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast