Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PX4 Opinions?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

PX4 Opinions?

Hey guys...

My little brother's 21st birthday is coming up and he's been looking for a handgun. I'm planning on helping fund his purchase and I'd like to make sure the gun he gets is actually a good one. I know a lot about rifles and AR's, but very little about handguns.

How does the Beretta PX4 rate? I have done research on the Beretta 92FS and that is what I originally suggested that he get (based on its quality and track record). However, he REALLY likes the PX4. Based on the little research I've done, it shares many similarities with the 92FS and that would lead me to believe it's a good to go gun.

That said, I'm open to any opinions or reviews that might offer some insight.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Skyyr; 04-15-10 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You might do well to check over at the Beretta forum..I've got a commerical M9, and I used to go over there alot. In the recent past reading posts over there, there were alot of complaints with the PX4..many of which delt with "trigger slap". Beretta at the time was doing it's level best to deny everything..How this was resolved I don't know..I would do some research first, I'm sure for the price, you can do much better,M&P, Glock, possibly HK (depending on price)All are probably better choices IMO, Anyway, go over there and look around, I believe they have a PX4 forum, That'd be a good starting point...
    Last edited by ralph; 04-15-10 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My humble recommendation would be this Beretta:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51246

A bit smaller and lighter than the 92, but with all the benefits and also a built in rail. As stated there I am very happy with mine so far, but it still has yet fully prove it's durability.

Also, one of our smarter folks here recently stated that the PX4 is prone to issues, and one or two others agreed via first hand trouble. Not that it means everything, but something to consider.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    At that price range, get a Glock or M&P.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    At that price range, get a Glock or M&P.
    Any particular reason why? I personally am not fond of any handgun without a manual safety. I know the Glocks don't have them, and not many retailers carry the M&P with manual safety.

Being his first handgun, I'd prefer for him to become accustomed to safe handling and having a safety. Again, that's purely my preference and I recognize it as my opinion. It's just that if I'm going to contribute to a handgun, I'd like to ensure a responsible choice.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 04-15-10 at 15:53.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would strongly encourage avoiding rotary-barreled handguns. Their track record is pretty bad. Beretta's last rotary barreled handgun was awful. Just ask some of the LEO's here who were stuck with them as issue guns.

The default answer is going to be something like a Glock or an M&P because of price range, ease of use, and the fact that they work. The M&P can even be had with a safety. Also worthy of consideration would be something like a Sig P229 or a P30.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post

Italy, specifically Rome and it's architecture will have far outlasted anything we currently produce, despite the tower in Pisa. But of course it proves something to focus on one benign mistake regardless. This having absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with firearms on top of the overt insult.

One of the most baseless posts ever made here. Congratulations to both you and the OP.
    Last edited by Safetyhit; 04-15-10 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I would strongly encourage avoiding rotary-barreled handguns. Their track record is pretty bad. Beretta's last rotary barreled handgun was awful. Just ask some of the LEO's here who were stuck with them as issue guns.

This was one of the knowledgeable individuals I was referring to, OP. Most likely very sound advice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast