Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P and Trijicon RMR

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

S&W M&P and Trijicon RMR

When the new Trijicon RMR's came out, I immediately thought of mounting one to a pistol. Their small size and weight seemed like sure winner. Couple that with the fact they make one with out any electronics in it and you have a very reliable optic.

For whatever reason, Trijicon does not make a dedicated mount for the RMR and pistols. So I rigged one together from various mounts I had for their short lived "Red Dot" optic.

I chose the RM03 (which is the model with no electronics and a 13MOA dot). The reason I picked the larger dot is because I wanted to be able to find it quickly and at 25yds, the dot size is only 3.25MOA.

After mounting the RMR to the M&P, I began to wonder if I had any holster that would fit it. Luckily the Raven holster I had worked just fine.

The mounting situation is not ideal to me and believe that it sits too high, but is serviceable. If this concept works out well for me, I will have mounts made for it that allow it to sit flush on the slide.

Due to the weather here in Ohio, I haven't gotten a lot of trigger time with it, but what I have done I have liked. It moves well from target to target, is fast and accurate. My draw stroke is fairly similar to my normal one and imagine that it would be the same if the optic sat lower.

Wash out. I attached a SF X300 to it and put myself in a room about the size of a large bathroom. With the X300's light bouncing off the walls, I found the dot kind of hard to pick up. I imagine that if I was in a larger room, it would be better. IMHO, Crimson Laser Grips are must have (for no other reason than the reticle washing out in certain situations).

I will be running this pistol at an upcoming class down at BW and will report back on how it runs.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A couple of questions

If it has no electronics, does it just amplify/focus ambient light to make the dot?

Is this something you're putting together as a possible carry piece, or range/class use?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Cap'n: It uses fibre optics to reroute ambient light, as well as tritium.

Grant: Is it a lower 1/25th cowitness?

Seriously, cool setup. I'd imagine this should work well with any non-retention strap bearing holster...

This is giving me some ideas...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Tritium is good news - how's it's low-light/dark capabilities then?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Pretty good info on this little monster:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34780&page=3

Grant, what bible verse is on yours?

Feedback Score
    In spite of some of the recent threads regarding a red dot optic on a handgun, I want to give one a try for fun and general plinking on the range.

I have a couple of Glock 34's, and one will be my test mule.

I was going to go with the Aimpoint Micro as I have a couple without homes right now, and will hopefully get a Glock mount for it soon.

But, I really like the size of the RMR....

If there ends up being a way to mount it lower without having to mill the slide, I really want to give one of these a try too.

And if it doesn't work out on the Glock, I have other SBR's and long guns it can go on.
    I AM a CanadianGunSlinger!!!!!!

Cede Nullis

Feedback Score
    Does it interfere with slide manipulation at all? I'm especially wondering about clearing malfunctions.

I'm guessing it probably makes that whole "snag the sight and rack it one-handed on your belt" thing a little different.
    Last edited by Cruncher Block; 01-17-10 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    A couple of questions

If it has no electronics, does it just amplify/focus ambient light to make the dot?

Is this something you're putting together as a possible carry piece, or range/class use?
    For more info on them: http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...?categoryID=13

It acts just like an ACOG or ACCUPOINT does (same concept). So yes, gathers ambient light to power the dot and if there is none, the Tritium kicks in.

I put this together to prove if it works. I believe that the best way to do this type of thing is to run it in a training class.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    Tritium is good news - how's it's low-light/dark capabilities then?
    Great in the dark. As I stated, washout appears to be an issue if you are in a small room and have a bright light attached to the weapon (this is where the CT grips come into play).

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigating Collapse View Post
    Pretty good info on this little monster:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34780&page=3

Grant, what bible verse is on yours?

God is Great, Beer is good and people are crazy.

Just kidding. It says 1th5:5: Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness

C4

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast