Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 or Beretta PX4?

Feedback Score

Glock 19 or Beretta PX4?

Hi Guys,

I would like have your though on Beretta PX4.

I went visit the local gun shop in NJ today.

they are selling Glock 19 for $590 and Beretta PX4 40cal for $640.

since my brother already have 9mm CZ75 SP-01, I though it could get an .40cal so that when we go shoot, we can have two different type of cal.

I know board have really good feedback on the Glock 19, but I didn't see anything mention about PX4. I didn't get the chance to shoot but it feel nice in my hand try to hold it.

at this point, I really trying to decide which gun... to buy...

any feedback will be great.

thank you

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I know a guy who was issued one and when he went to the range on his own time he shot a G19.

M_P

Feedback Score
    It is hard to beat the G19.

The 17 and 19 are the world standard of polymer 9's.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    These 2 guys know what they're talking about, as do many other people on this forum.
    The Glock 19 (I wish I hadn't sold my 17) is just a well balanced gun. It shoots great (or better than a lot of people can shoot), has good capacity, is reliable, easy to clean and repair, and is a nice size for duty, CCW, HD, and pretty much whatever comes your way. What will your use be, btw?
    Not sure of your experience with Glock, but one of the nice things is that there are plenty of spare parts- from stores, and from other Glocks of similar size. If you need to replace something, either for repair or based on your use of the gun, parts are for the most part easy to get a hold of. Decent Glock parts are also not only made by Glock, but by reputable 3rd party manufacturers. You can also walk into almost any gun store or range, and find an armorer, much less so with Beretta and others.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    G19 without question. If you want a .40, get the m&p. Their CS is the shizel! Stay away from the PX4. I broke mine 3 times in under 1200 rounds. Berettas CS sucks dog balls X 3.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    The Glock will probably be easier to support with parts, mags, maint etc. It's also 9mm, which IMO is a more logistics-friendly choice if you already have a 9mm in the family.

Feedback Score
    thank you guys,

I think I will settle with Glock 19,

as many of you point out, there is a lot of parts if I ever need repair.

another question, just so I don't get taking in the store.

how many mag the gun come with?

2 or 3? or I have to buy additional mag on my own?

thank you

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Buy G-17 mags for spares.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Beretta's history with rotary barreled pistols is not good. The Cougar was their last foray into that territory and it did not go well as some of the people here who were issued the weapons as sidearms will tell you. That sentiment may upset some Cougar owners, but it's the truth.

The PX4, to the best of my knowledge, isn't out there in large numbers...which is why you don't see as much info on the PX4 as you do with say the M&P which is selling quite nicely on the open market and to LE agencies. I only know of a couple of agencies that issue the PX4 and I don't know what their results with the weapon have been. Given all of that, I would treat the PX4 with a healthy dose of suspicion. Has Beretta perfected the rotary barreled pistol in the PX4? I don't know. Do you as a consumer want to take that chance with Beretta? That's something only you can answer.

The Glock 19, on the other hand, is about as well known a quantity as a mass produced handgun can be. While they are not the ideal handgun for everybody, they are by any objective standard a pretty darn good handgun that's easy to support and do light customization with. I own one and carry it now and then and I don't even like Glocks.

As for different calibers...it's generally not a great idea. 9mm is, all other things being equal, the cheapest centerfire ammo on the market. That means you can shoot and train more with a 9mm...which is ultimately what will benefit you most should you actually need to use the handgun for lawful self defense. (A difficult feat in NJ, I know) Even if your interest is just becoming a better shooter, there's no substitute for trigger time, and 9mm gives you the most trigger time per dollar of any handgun round other than the .22LR. With the Glock you can also purchase good .22LR conversion kits that you can even put your normal sights on so that you get even more quality trigger time.

Glock 19's are not perfect handguns (despite what Modern_Pirate might think...) but they are darn good ones by any objective standard. If we think about a purchase in terms of potential risk, the G19 would be a very low risk purchase.

I wouldn't limit myself just to the PX4 or the G19, however...I would also look at the M&P as well or (if you have the scratch) even the H&K P30 or the Sig P229, all pretty darn good handguns by any measure. Ideally you should get some trigger time on a potential purchase before making it...especially since you have to run every purchase through the NJSP.

Edit to catch up to the above question: G19's seen on gunstore shelves typically come with 2 magazines.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 12-22-09 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Having a .40 "so you can have two calibers to shoot" is probably something i would avoid.

Most of the people on these forums dont buy firearms with the intention of shooting to enjoy a different "feel" at the range.

We buy our firearms with the intent of putting as many rounds down range of our chosen caliber as possible to improve our shooting skills.

What do you want out of the weapon?

Its new jersey so im fairly certain you're not carrying that thing around with you.

Any plans to move out of that smelly state? I ask this because if you ever plan on carrying the weapon that will change things significantly.

The G19 is widedly regarded as the standard for concealed carry pistol performance. Its as reliable as pistols get, accurate enough, fun and easy to shoot and there are a billion and a half parts available for it.

Also, getting back to the caliber, having two guns chambered in 9mm will actually make your life easier as you will only have to hunt one caliber to shoot. If one gent forgets his ammo, you should hopefully have yours and you can both still shoot or vice versa.

Based upon pure opinion, i would go with the G19 without a doubt.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast