Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22WMR for self defense

Feedback Score

22WMR for self defense

This sounds crazy, but just for the fun of argument, let's consider the 22WMR for self defense. This came out of the Keltec PMR-30 announcement. It brings up some points about how we measure performance. Let's start with the basics

The good
    30 round capacity
    ultra low recoil
    ~14" penetration http://www.brassfetcher.com/22WMR.html
    cheapish to shoot increasing training time

The bad

limited temporary and permanent cavities

I'm going to base this on an average shooter with a < 20% hit rate against say a crack head with a knife.

If we are trying to not get stabbed by the guy with a knife, we pretty much have to make a CNS shot. A shot that might be deadly, but takes 20 seconds for the bad guy to pass out and then eventually bleed out, does us no good.

The crux of the argument is this: your average shooter misses most of the time under stress. If you can improve accuracy even slightly it significantly increases your likelihood of incapacitation. If shooting a 22WMR increases accuracy more than it decreases instant incapacitation, it's a better choice. So let's say we have 2-4 seconds to stop the bad guy. Our sub 20% hit rate with 9mm or .45 puts us at 1-2 hits. The likelihood of instant incapacitation is really low. Given that we have lots of penetration out of the WMR would doubling our accuracy or speed make up for lack of permanent cavity?

I believe that while a 22 is going to reduce the amount of deadly lung shots for example, accurate CNS shots may not be reduced because of increased accuracy and number of shots placed on target.

This brings up some important points. It seems that most of our research is centered around terminal effectiveness. But terminal effectiveness is not our goal. Terminal effectiveness per firefight or terminal effectiveness as a function of time is our goal. If we reduce effectiveness by 20% but we increase shots landed in the same amount of time by 30% we are ahead.

Another problem is the dichotomy between theoretical performance and anecdotal performance. We constantly here "I put two X calibers in the guy's chest and he didn't go down. A 45 would have done it." But we never hear "I dumped an entire magazine of 45s into the sky, and he didn't go down" because no one brags about how bad a shooter they are. It's much more interesting to hear about the .22 that bounces of the guys forehead so it get's discussed way more than the fact that 22s kill more people (though usually from ND). We can't base our strategy on anecdotal performance that doesn't measure the uninteresting stories.

What do you guys think? Obviously, larger caliber makes sense for people who are highly skilled, and we should all be on our way there, but for an average shooter, could the reduced recoil/increased accuracy of a .22WMR be more effective?
    Last edited by fatmoocow; 12-10-09 at 08:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fatmoocow View Post
    This sounds crazy, but just for the fun of argument, let's consider the 22WMR for self defense.
    I think you should seriously reconsider using a rimfire platform for self defense. You're much better off with centerfire.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Exactly how many police units issue or authorize .22 magnum for standard carry?

that should answer your question.

Feedback Score
    This is really no different than FN's 5.7 pistol in terms of wound producing potential and handling characteristics.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And the 5.7 is not great for defensive use--especially in a handgun:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19913

Feedback Score
    I don't think you will improve accuracy with a lower powered round, as the cause of poor accuracy under stress is not directly linked to level of recoil. Poor accuracy under stress has to do with fear induced physiological responses that require proper training to overcome. So the key to higher hit rates is better/more training, not lower powered weapons. That is my opinion anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    I don't think you will improve accuracy with a lower powered round, as the cause of poor accuracy under stress is not directly linked to level of recoil. Poor accuracy under stress has to do with fear induced physiological responses that require proper training to overcome. So the key to higher hit rates is better/more training, not lower powered weapons. That is my opinion anyway.
    This is a very good point.

Feedback Score
    Remember the rules of a gun fight.

Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stage2 View Post
    Remember the rules of a gun fight.

Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".
    You mean like 9mm?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
    You mean like 9mm?
    Exactly!!!
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."- Benjamin Franklin

audentes fortuna iuvat.
    Fortune favors the bold...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast