Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Titan Defense TD-415 (HK416 clone) Gas piston upper preview (Pics inside)

Feedback Score

Titan Defense TD-415 (HK416 clone) Gas piston upper preview (Pics inside)

Titan Defense is putting the finishing touches on their sorta HK416-ish clone, the TD-415 gas piston upper. I got to shoot a prototype that was 6000 rounds deep without a cleaning

First, they wanted to make it clear they are a independently owned and financed company. They are not a subsidiary of any other company, Todd Baily or anyone else. This is NOT a Todd Baily product.

They only manufacture upper receivers and are licensing the technology to organizations that want to manufacture complete firearms. They are negotiating with several companies, each of which will have their own logo etched on the upper

Now on to the upper. Since I own an LWRC M6A1, I will use it as a point of reference.

I got to fire the 14.5" SS, HBAR model, The barrel had an M4 notch and PWS muzzle device. It was slightly nose heavy, but felt rock solid. No rattles or loose feeling tolerances. The barrel will accept any AR15 muzzle device

The piston was a beefy unit, interfacing a long, thick single piece oprod design. Unlike the LWRC, the handguard was easy to remove, and the piston assembly was much simpler to take down. There are also fewer parts in the TD-415 design. The TD415 is self regulating, venting excess gas when the weapon cycles. The piston head lacks gas rings, making it simpler and easier to manufacture compared to the HK416

In terms of HK 416 compatibility, it will accept a 416 piston rod, and BCG. It's a single piece carrier, and nickle plated as is the bolt. The firing pin has a return spring, like the 416. The carrier does not feature notch/tab on the rear of the carrier key. The ejector is AR15 compatible.

The bolt with be shot peened, MPI, magnafluxed, yadda yadda, which should make the chart junkies happy

Nearly everything steel in the upper was nitride treated, making the components have incredible durability and virtually impervious to corrosion.

I fired the upper on full auto and semi. The recoil has a hard push back, as opposed to an LWRC jolt, but it wasn't harsh, even on full-auto. The action was clean enough to eat off of, and there was no significant heat transfer to speak of. There were zero failures with PMAG's and USGI mags

Overall, I was impressed. It was a good looking gun due to the distinct HK416 profile. I might sell my M6A1 to fund a TD415 purchase once the 10.5" units are ready

On to the crappy cell phone pics

Last edited by variablebinary; 09-26-09 at 19:33.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the Post variablebinary.

I have been in contact with Josh. He is very polite and very professional.
    He has my number and will notify me as soon as they become available.

I think that although a clone to the HK 416 , this weapon will prove to be robust and reliable. It appears to be very well made.
    I like the bolt and carrier assembly. No rings on this bolt and the spring on the firing pin is a nice touch.

I cant wait to get my hands on the TD 415 to compare it to my 3 LWRC's.

Thanks for the pics and info
    Last edited by SRT-M4; 09-26-09 at 19:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT-M4 View Post
    Thanks for the Post variablebinary.

I have been in contact with Josh. He is very polite and very professional.
    He has my number and will notify me as soon as they become available.

I think that although a clone to the HK 416 , this weapon will prove to be robust and reliable. It appears to be very well made.
    I like the bolt and carrier assembly. No rings on this bolt and the spring on the firing pin is a nice touch.

I cant wait to get my hands on the TD 415 to compare it to my 3 LWRC's.

Thanks for the pics and info
    The Titan guys are very cool, and easy to talk to. They are very eager to answer questions too.

Interacting with them was a 100% positive experience.

Feedback Score
    Once people get over the critisizm of it being a HK 416 clone, I think that this weapon will become very popular.

Hell ,from what I can see, they may have improved on the Hk 416 and its American Made.

I think the staff at Titan Defense will win a lot of people over with the way they seem to do business.

Josh even called me out of the blue to give me an update on the progress of the upper.
    He also responds to all fo my annoying emails.

I love my LWRCs and will find it hard to find something better but the TD 415 looks good.

Feedback Score
    That's a tall rail. Would I be correct in assuming it's the same height as the H&K 416 rail?

Comment/Observation aside, that's a very nice looking gun from an outfit I keep hearing good things about. Will the TD-415 will be more reasonably priced than its Germanic cousin?

-B
    Last edited by BAC; 09-26-09 at 20:18.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    That's a tall rail. Would I be correct in assuming it's the same height as the H&K 416 rail?

Comment/Observation aside, that's a very nice looking gun from an outfit I keep hearing good things about. Will the TD-415 will be more reasonably priced than its Germanic cousin?

-B
    The rail height is like the HK416, and the upper is like $1250 making it super affordable. compared to the $5000 HK416 upper

Here's an actual HK416 piston/BCG photo so people can see the similarities

And the HK MR556 which is rumored to be $3500 when it goes for sale in 2010. Notice the rail height

Last edited by variablebinary; 09-26-09 at 20:31.

Feedback Score
    Great pics variablebinary. $1250 isnt bad at all.

Why do so many people not like the taller rail height?

I understand getting your optics as close to the centerline of the barrel but .250 or so should actually help with comfort while looking through your glass.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    The rail height is like the HK416, and the upper is like $1250 making it super affordable. compared to the $5000 HK416 upper

Here's an actual HK416 piston/BCG photo so people can see the similarities

And the HK MR556 which is rumored to be $3500 when it goes for sale in 2010. Notice the rail height

What's up w/the rail height? Can't see any diff.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if there will be any legal actions from HK on this clone? Or if that is even a possibility?

Spooky

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    I wonder if there will be any legal actions from HK on this clone? Or if that is even a possibility?

Spooky
    Who knows. Who hasn't HK sued lately. They have even gone after airsoft guns.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I follow such things, but I think HK is in for a rocky road if this is their solution for handling the competition.

The irony is Colt sued HK for trade dress and failed, and AFAIK, HK hasnt managed to shut anyone down with similar suits

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast