Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: XD's.....why do you all hate them so much?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    No, it doesn't.

There are people on this board who are in a position to supervise hundreds of thousands of rounds downrange through a number of different platforms every year, or who are intimately familiar with results seen from widespread use of a platform among a number of issuing agencies.

In other words, all opinions are not equal.

It's simply a fact that in aggregate .40 caliber Glocks are not as reliable and durable as their 9mm counterparts. Individual specimens can be found that work splendidly...but there are a number of agencies who have dropped .40 caliber Glocks after having major problems with them. The Indiana State Police come to mind immediately as they had such problems with .40 caliber Glocks that they made Glock give them 9mm guns instead.

If your personal .40 caliber Glock works, then so be it...but that doesn't invalidate the informed opinions of our SME's and IPs who are often in a position to see a lot more than most. Samples of 1 are never as good as samples of hundreds.
    I realize that, and trust me I DO take into account their opinions and experiences. I will most likely acquire a GLOCK 19 some time in the near future but until then, my XD will (probably) continue to serve me as well as it has in the past. Oh well. Different strokes for different folks.
    I like girl scout cookies.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Hate them?

No.

There are just other pistols that fit my needs better.

Just as I prefer ARs over Mini-14s, I prefer other pistols over the XD.

If someone uses one and it does what they need their pistol to do, rock on, but that does not in any way mean that it is the best pistol for anyone else or that everyone has the same needs, including myself or highly skilled professional shooters.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    A Very recently a large agency in the northeastern US did an actual technical evaluation of modern handguns with the purpose of a major investment in duty pistols. The M&P was removed from consideration when the technical analysis did not match the sales advertising description.
    Will you elaborate on the above?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've owned XD's in 9 and .45 and had no problems. The .45 was nice.

My opinion, which is not a professional one, is that these pistols are ok, but at the same time, they are not remarkable. They would fit nicely in the sock drawer or glove box but not in my concealed carry holster. The guy choosing one could certainly do worse.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    The opinion of these people has to be taken with a grain of salt as their exposure to other platforms outside of what is issued to them is limited.
    Limited to some degree. One of the rifles that I fired during the class was a full auto AK.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiMfraRED1911 View Post
    Ahh, jeez...not this shit again. Use the bloody search function.

My reasons...

- srsly, the grip safety doesn't need to be there, as you can get yourself into a lot of trouble using one handed manipulations

- magazines are relatively fragile

- bore axis too high for my taste

- nowhere NEAR as simple as the GLOCK come detail stripping time

- relatively unproven

- lack of armorer support and EASY access to spare parts

- when people like David Bowie spend more time REPAIRING them, rather than enhancing them, I would take note

- I don't like getting ripped off by the marketing department at Springfield Armory just because their badge is on the slide (see the early HS2000 that were actual steals)
    Hey Mate Please don't use the word bloody with a negative. If you actually were an Aussie or British ya'd know that. Good day

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't hate them, I don't get emotionally invested in guns anymore.

I just think the Glock and M&P platforms are better choices.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by recon by fire View Post
    Limited to some degree. One of the rifles that I fired during the class was a full auto AK.

That is irrelevant. I do not consider someone's opinion on a firearm relevant until they own one personally and be able to service it themselves on an armorer level.

All opinions are not equal as John_Wayne777 posted.
    Last edited by scottryan; 09-15-09 at 08:30.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Ok sir, I know that you are an industry professional, but have you had any personal experience with the glock in .40? My number one rule is to KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER. In my honest opinions those articles dont mean a dam thing. Every single gun ever made has had problems, but I would never in my life put the glock 40 in the same catagory as the xd, because I can trust my life wit the glock but never had enough shooting time to say the same for the xd."

Well, I'm one of the Glock .40 bad-mouthing people, and for good reason. My agency had to give back 350 brand new G22s because they didn't work. Our issues were in the same time period as Indiana's.

Most recently Milwaukee PD and Detroit are trading in their G22s for M&Ps, there is a reason why major departments trade-in a weapon system all of a sudden.

The Glock .40s have more issues than most other major brand service pistols, fact of life.

We have a fairly robust program here. When I was the rangemaster I watched almost a million rounds of 9mm go downrange from our Glock 9mms, which is how I can comment with just a little authority as to the reliability of those guns as a system.
    It's also how I can give more than a sample of one or a couple when I talk about issues with the Glock .40s

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    That is irrelevant. I do not consider someone's opinion on a firearm relevant until they own one personally and be able to service it themselves on an armorer level.

All opinions are not equal as John_Wayne777 posted.
    Armorer level. What's to be an armorer with a polymer Auto. I have owned 2 XD, several 1911's and 1 M&P 40. Could never hit a decent group with the XD's. I did have styles that were from the original family. I have no formal Armor training however once you take down a few 1911 completely and a Glock or 2 . Plus install new hammers mainspring etc. What else is there to know. Besides you can't tell how a gun performs my taking it apart. I honestly thought I would like the XD having owned several 1911's. But I was disappointed at best.

I am not degrading being an armorer. I am sure you guys no more than I do. But it's really not that complicated. IS it?

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast