Thread: Private Contract 5.56?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Private Contract 5.56?

I recently was able to pick up several cases of 5.56 at a good price. I have never seen NATO Stamped ammunition which was Nickeled plated Lake City brass with sealed & staked primers and a 55gr FMJ bullet with a "very" deep crimp roll. The head stamp is 06 but looks as if the ammo was make yesterday. I chronograph this against some 06 manufactured XM193 and they both gave returns within 30FPS. Now the crimp roll on this nickle plated load looks extremely deep when compared to the XM193 so my question is could private contract specify such a change for a bullet possibly to enhance fragmentation?

Feedback Score
    Got any pics'? Pulled and weighed projectiles? I'm curious too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Now the crimp roll on this nickle plated load looks extremely deep when compared to the XM193 so my question is could private contract specify such a change for a bullet possibly to enhance fragmentation?
    Are you talking about the cannelure or the crimp?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Are you talking about the cannelure or the crimp?

cannelure (plural cannelures)

Ringlike groove in the jacket of a bullet which provides a means of securely crimping the cartridge case to the bullet.

I maybe wrong (Most Likely) but are they not the same thing?

Feedback Score
    Yes I know what a crimp is. I manufacture ammunition for a living.

My question for clarification of crimp or cannelure is that to my knowledge crimping has zero effect on terminal performance. It has to do with internal ballistics.

The heavy crimp is to prevent bullet setback, which can be common enough in ammunition for rifle, particularly the AR15/M16 family which has a violent travel from magazine to chamber.

Lake City does make nickel plated brass. Graf's usually has some from time to time.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    LE223T3 casings match the specs given.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sorry,

Have been working long hours and did not have a chance to pull a bullet and post pictures. This stuff is definitely NATO Velocity and I hope to be able to test it on a freshly downed meat Bull (Down less then five minutes) to see if the bullets fragment on a chest & gut shot. This will be done after the deer season in Maine starts up and I stop by the families butcher shop while there. Not thats its any kind of scientific test but I will be able to slowly examine the wound to see what if any fragmentation occurs.