Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressed SBR for home/property defense??

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Suppressed SBR for home/property defense??

I was discussing my dedicated, suppressed SBR in on another forum and mentioned that this is my primary defensive tool. Some seemed to believe that this is a poor idea. Why, I am not really certain so I thought I would see what you guys thought.

My rule of thumb is to use the gun that you are MOST familiar with for home defense. The weapon I shoot the most with and shoot the best with is my suppressed SBR.

C4

Last edited by C4IGrant; 07-11-09 at 09:33.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I was discussing my dedicated, suppressed SBR in on another forum and mentioned that this is my primary defensive tool. Some seemed to believe that this is a poor idea. Why, I am not really certain so I thought I would see what you guys thought.

My rule of thumb is to use the gun that you are MOST familiar with for home defense. The weapon I shoot the most with and shoot the best with is my suppressed SBR.

C4

Grant. I got a question a little off subject about your SBR rifle. What do you think of the Vltor rail your using? I got a Noveske N4 middy upper and am split between the Vltor and DD Omega. I like the fact neither rail requires any mods to the rifle. Whats the weight of the Vltor? I know its heavier then the Omega. I like how the Vltor can be field stripped for cleaning.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    Grant. I got a question a little off subject about your SBR rifle. What do you think of the Vltor rail your using? I got a Noveske N4 middy upper and am split between the Vltor and DD Omega. I like the fact neither rail requires any mods to the rifle. Whats the weight of the Vltor? I know its heavier then the Omega. I like how the Vltor can be field stripped for cleaning.
    LOL, ya that is off topic!

The VLTOR middy rail is one of my favorite because the cost, easy of installation, ruggedness, cheap flip up front sight and rails where you want them and not where you don't.

C4

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    LOL, ya that is off topic!

The VLTOR middy rail is one of my favorite because the cost, easy of installation, ruggedness, cheap flip up front sight and rails where you want them and not where you don't.

C4
    Thanks for the info. Also, I agree with your statement about using your suppressed SBR for home defense. Your comfortable with it and its reliable. I like the idea that you won't deafen (who's got time for hearing protection in such a situation) and blind yourself (most likely it will be dark or dim light conditions). I guess most people can't comprehend having such a state of the art weapon for such purposes.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I think a suppressed SBR is an excellent home defense gun. I know a lot of people recommend against NFA firearms for defensive use because their foil is a bit tight. I say as long as the shoot is good it's good regardless of the device used to stop the threat be it a golf club or a rifle.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I think a suppressed SBR is an excellent home defense gun. I know a lot of people recommend against NFA firearms for defensive use because their foil is a bit tight. I say as long as the shoot is good it's good regardless of the device used to stop the threat be it a golf club or a rifle.
    Agree (especially since Ohio is a Castle Doctrine State).

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey;408145I
    guess most people can't comprehend having such a
    state of the art weapon for such purposes.
    Exactly right. Most people have been indoctrinated into believing that "silencers" are the tools of professional criminals and assassins. If you use one in home defense, either 1) you must have had it lying around because you used it in your criminal enterprise or 2) it really wasn't home defense. You are more likely to get a courtroom filled with these people than educated individuals who understand the reality, let alone members of this board. In many area, you might find even the ones investigating a shooting to have a similar mindset.

It's strictly an image thing, just like using an "assault rifle" or "sawed off shotgun" as a defensive tool. As with any such matter, if you can educate the investigator in both the law and the facts (including what you have articulated above), you reduce the risk of it being held against you. You may or may not negate the risk. Because of your profession, you are already at lower risk than most others since these are the tools of said profession. So, it becomes a matter of comparing the risk to the benefit, as with everything else SD/HD related.
    Last edited by buzz_knox; 07-11-09 at 10:14.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz_knox View Post
    Exactly right. Most people have been indoctrinated into believing that "silencers" are the tools of professional criminals and assassins. If you use one in home defense, either 1) you must have had it lying around because you used it in your criminal enterprise or 2) it really wasn't home defense. You are more likely to get a courtroom filled with these people than educated individuals who understand the reality, let alone members of this board. In many area, you might find even the ones investigating a shooting to have a similar mindset.

It's strictly an image thing, just like using an "assault rifle" or "sawed off shotgun" as a defensive tool. As with any such matter, if you can educate the investigator in both the law and the facts (including what you have articulated above), you reduce the risk of it being held against you. You may or may not negate the risk. Because of your profession, you are already at lower risk than most others since these are the tools of said profession. So, it becomes a matter of comparing the risk to the benefit, as with everything else SD/HD related.

Right you are. The county prosecutor is a customer/friend so I am most likely pretty safe (unless I do something really bad).

I have to wonder if the people that are going to use an AR for HD, have ANY clue what it will do to their hearing.

C4

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A good thing that has been happening as of the last 10yrs is that more and more police depts are using rifles/carbines instead of shotguns. I believe this was largely because of the North Hollywood Bank robbery.

I've worked on Colts and H&R M16s that a local dept got under the Gov't program. They left them as 20" guns but I made them all flat tops, added RDS optics, lights, A2 handguards and made the Colts semi-auto but the few H&Rs were left full-auto at their request. Another local Dept got some of the M16s from the same gov't program and is using 16" barrels on the ones issued to their regular officers and 11.5" for their part time SWAT officers. I view this as good thing for the officers issued these and I think nationwide it is slowly changing the publics perception of 'assualt rifles'. If police are using them for entry/CQB how are they magically bad for the citizen for defensive use in CQB? Same can be said for suppressors.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have to wonder if the people that are going to use an AR for HD, have ANY clue what it will do to their hearing.
    Audio exclusion is a physiological phenomenon. Odds are, in a high-stress situation (such as confronting and shooting a potentially lethal threat in your home) it will occur and no permanent hearing damage will result. Anything can happen, of course.

A suppressed SBR *is* a good choice for home defense. According to your own criteria:

I am most familiar with my Glock 19's because I carry them every single day. I shoot my Glock 19's the most - unsure if I can compare my pistol shooting to my carbine shooting (i.e. "shoot the best") but I am confident with my pistol skills. So using your criteria, my Glock 19's are my primary defensive tool.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 07-11-09 at 10:33.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast