Thread: Vortex Strikefire: a Review.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

Thumbs up Vortex Strikefire: a Review.

I picked on of these up and thought I would try it out on my 9mm Carbine. I also figured I would share my experiences with you all. This testing was not scientific and probably would not pass muster with most people but hey, it is better than nothing right!

First thing I did was check over the construction of the optic.

The first thing that is very obvious is that it shares a lot of design ideas with an Aimpoint. However where you normally have on and brightness controls there is instead a battery compartment that takes a single CR2 battery. I see this as bit of an issue personally. Most devices take 123 batteries and using a different battery means that people will have to keep spares of a different type now. Not the end of the world by any means but a bit on an annoyance.

The actual controls for the Strikefire are on the left side of the tube. They are mounted on a rubberized extension from the tube that presents the brightness controls towards the shooter and leaves the on/off switch facing to the left. I can see a potential problem with this layout since it present the possibility of turning the sight on or off accidentally.

Windage and elevation adjustments are in the same place as an Aimpoint and should be familiar to anyone who has used them.

The provided mount is essentially just a hi-rise 30mm Scope mount but any mount made for the Aimpoint should work fine with this sight.

Overall construction seems solid with no defects that I could see. One concern I have is the front glass. It appears to have an almost mirror finish. I will never be taking this into combat so it won't be an issue, but I can see it reflecting light very easily.

Finally they have also included a 2X magnifier that screws into the back of the optic. A nice feature but we will see how it works in practice.

Now onto the operations of the controls themselves. Pressing the power button provides a very crisp red dot. It seemed to be about 3-4MOA from my testing and checking the specs confirmed that it was indeed 4MOA. Pressing the Power button a second time changes the dot to green and pressing it once again will turn the optic off. I am not sure there is much reason for the different color dots on one device but it is a nice feature non the less. I would still prefer a knob for on/off or at least a more recessed button like on the EoTech.

Adjustment of the brightness is simple and straightforward with plenty of levels of adjustment for different environments. Also included is a button to set the device for Night Vision use. I do now own any NV equipment so I was unable to test this. If anyone wants to send me a nice NV device that would work with this then feel free.

First thing I did after mounting the device was get it sighted in. This was surprisingly easy. Two click right and 1 down had me in the 10 Ring! Not bad for right out of the box.

Something I am always concerned about on a sight or any type is durability. So I wanted to see if this thing would hold Zero or even survive a fall. I removed the Strikefire and dropped it onto packed dirt 3 times. About as unscientific as you can get but I wanted to see if it would survive a 5 foot drop. It did. Not only that but upon remounting it to the gun it was still right on target.

About 300 rounds later it was still shooting great and I decided to try out the magnifier. Installing the magnifier was easy. Even with the Aimpoint style flip up covers installed it screwed right in. Your field of view is more restricted but this is to be expected with a magnifier. I was impressed with the magnifier, more so than I thought I would be. there is some very slight distortion around the outer edges but it is almost unnoticeable. Overall I had no problems with the magnifier and put another 200 rounds though it with this installed.

Another interesting fact is that I am able to use my MBUS with the magnifier installed. The FSB is still easily visible and usable. My Arms 40 sits a bit to far forward and won't flip all the way up with the Magnifier, but the MBUS sits a bit further back when deployed and work just fine.

I purchased this sight for 150 bucks. It is well worth it. There are those that will say it is no Aimpoint, and they are correct. However for a person like myself who will (hopefully) never be in combat, it is an inexpensive and reliable alternative to an Aimpoint. I went through a hard shot case of 9mm and had no problems with POI changing, etc as we often see in cheap optics. My complaints were relatively minor although I do still have some concern about the location of the On/Off switch and I encourage Cortex to review this and consider a location change in the next revision of this product. Even rotating it 90 degree down up or down would make a huge difference since it would no longer accidentally hit the user and turn on or off.
    Other than that I would suggest switching to 123 Style batteries and putting an anti Glare coating on the front glass.

Overall I am very happy with this optic especially considering the cost. It was reliable and surprisingly durable.
    I will post some photos later.

Edit:
    Yikes. I just saw these guys were site sponsors! Glad I didn't speak badly of it LOL!
    Last edited by kwelz; 05-10-09 at 09:32.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the review. Good, thorough information.

What's battery life look like on this unit?

Got any pics?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Not sure on Battery life. I left it sitting turned on for 2 days before I shot it. But that isn't a really long time for any red dot. even EoTechs have 600 Hours for the single battery units.

Here are the photos as promised.

Here is the Unit with the Magnifier.

And again without

A closeup of the controls.

Through the Optic. The Photo makes it look darker than it really is.

Here is the Battery compartment. The scuff mark near the cap is the only damage from the drop test.

Front of the Compartment and a view of the shiny glass

Just another showing the stock battery.

Here is is with the MBUS flipped up so you can see the clearance. As I said, ARMS #40 standards will hit just before they are fully deployed. I don't have a Troy unit to test with but I think they might clear as well.

And finally from the front through the optic. In this photo you can see that the green dot is on. The source is visible in the upper left hand corner. Please forgive wannabe Tactical cat. He manages to find his way into just about every photo set I take and I finally got tired of trying to fight him off.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review kwelz. I got handle one of these a few weeks ago at a local gunshop here in Phoenix. I may have to look into it again after reading this.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Found the manufacturer's website... Battery life is listed as 2,000 hours (83 days), but it has a 2 hour shut off...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    Found the manufacturer's website... Battery life is listed as 2,000 hours (83 days), but it has a 2 hour shut off...
    Interesting. I know mine has gone for more than 2 hours! Interesting.

Feedback Score
    nice write up.

pardon me if I missed it, you got sight, mount and 2x magnifier for approx $150 ?

nice deal if so, definitely worth trying out...

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Correct. Everything you see in the Photos comes in the box at that price. Retail might be 159 actually. I paid a bot less than 150 since I used to work at the Gunstore and they still give me pretty good deals.
    When I first saw it I thought it was just another cheap Aimpoint knockoff from China. However after looking at it I saw that it wasn't and thought I would give it a try.
    Last edited by kwelz; 05-10-09 at 15:46.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting this review. I've thought about trying this but I think I'll save for an EOTech.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Yeah I don't think I would trust it in the same situations I would an EoTech or Aimpoint. But for more casual shooting it is perfect. I am thinking about picking up another for some other builds I am working on.