Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Piston or Gas?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Piston or Gas?

Im not new to firearms but new to the AR, which brings me to my question. What are the pros of a straight gas tube system versus the gas piston system? I know the straight gas is dirtier while the piston is cleaner, but thats about it, i have no experience with the pistons. Is their really a difference in accuracy, or realiability? or is it just a matter of preference? Im building my first AR and havnt bought an upper so help me out here
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

If you can't get behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pistons are way too problematic. They're a solution to a problem that's really been exagerated big time.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If you have to ask....then standard gas. I wouldn't look into the piston until I was familiar enough with the system to understand why, how, and "if" i might benefit from it. Plus as markm said there are still a lot of different versions and bugs to be worked out. If you're building your first AR, then go gas, and a piston version might make a great 4th or 5th AR for your collection.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Pistons are way too problematic. They're a solution to a problem that's really been exagerated big time.
    So there's no real reason to buy a piston upper? For my first anyway? If you would please state the common problems they cause. I honestly don't know.
    Last edited by dmanflynn; 04-21-09 at 08:41.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

If you can't get behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them

Feedback Score
    LWRC, LMT pistons are not so problematic as people may believe. They are GTG.

The only problem is the $ in most people's minds.

Gas and Piston both work. I prefer piston for the ease of maintenance and because you won't cook off all your lube running a whole lot of rounds through.

I have both, would grab either one for SHTF

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pistons are a fad, and a solution looking for a problem IMHO. Most of them are under developed, poorly implemented, and offer little or no benefits over a DI gun. Nothing wrong at all with a well made, correctly setup, properly maintained DI AR.

*This is coming from a 2 tour Iraqi War veteran who placed his in the hands of a DI Colt M4 day in and day out.*

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't follow the pistons very closely because I find them to be total nonsense.... but....

Almost every one of them has been problematic in one way or another. Pistons breaking/seizing is one of the problems I've seen. Another common problem is "carrier tilt". See, pistons have been forced into a platform that was meant for direct gas. Thus most pistons drive the top of the carrier and push the bottom of the carrier in to the receiver extension. This beats the crap out of the gun.

HKs piston appears to be the best of a silly idea. But i've read at least two account of problems with that design too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Being an owner of both, gas.

If it is your first AR style platform build, go with a quality gas build. Don't skimp, do it once, do it right and forget about it. When it comes to resale, someone who knows what quality is will always pony up.

I've been interested in the midlength style for awhile and it will be added to the stable.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    It would depend on a couple of things - intended use and budget.

If you are going to shoot it at the range once in a while and let it sit around as a SHTF rifle then a DI rifle would be fine. If you are shooting a silenced SBR in the desert then a piston rifle might be what you need.

I don't buy all the "solution looking for a problem" comments. Obviously issues arose with the DI setup when it was used in a certain environment/configuration. Just because it works great for you doesn't mean it works great for everybody/everywhere.

If funds are not a determining factor and a piston set up makes you happy then by all means buy a piston rifle. After all, this is America and if you want it and can afford it then get it.

If you are going to go the piston route, I would suggest buying a piston rifle from LWRC, POF, or LMT. They have had their piston setups out a while and have worked out the bugs.
    Last edited by EzGoingKev; 04-21-09 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The "carrier tilt" problem has kept me from going the piston route for now. I've seen some people post pics of the damage done to the BCG because of it.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast