Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle nut staking, why the big deal?

Feedback Score

Castle nut staking, why the big deal?

I fully understand why someone would want the nut staked, it obviously makes sense. The question is, why is it so important when so many people take it off to replace the stock, or put in a sling attachment point? Do these same people restake it when they finish? Can you even restake it after putting in a sling attachment point? It just does not make sense to me to use that particular feature as an indicator of the quality of manufacture when it seems to be a commonly removed part.

A related question, does the nut and/or tube need to be removed to replace the stock with a UBR or the M93B?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I staked my single point sling end plate when I installed it.

The UBR uses its own tube, and does not use the end plate or castle nut.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 01-19-09 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo308guy View Post
    I fully understand why someone would want the nut staked, it obviously makes sense. The question is, why is it so important when so many people take it off to replace the stock, or put in a sling attachment point? Do these same people restake it when they finish? Can you even restake it after putting in a sling attachment point? It just does not make sense to me to use that particular feature as an indicator of the quality of manufacture when it seems to be a commonly removed part.

A related question, does the nut and/or tube need to be removed to replace the stock with a UBR or the M93B?
    Same reason that your tires should be inflated to the car manufacturers spec. Will 20psi get you down the road.....maybe. But 30ps is required on my truck. I'm just guessing that 20psi wears the tires faster and/or makes the truck harder to control on the road.

The UBR and M93 series stocks don't have castle nuts for end plates to stake into. Their extensions are like A1/A2 rifle extensions. They're installed to the torque spec and held in by the stock screw.

I'm not an AR engineer but I did stay at a few times.

End plates can be resused and restaked, ideally you should use a new end plate especially if you don't have enough metal to stake into the castle nut notches in at least two spots.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 01-19-09 at 21:56.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's an indicator of a quality build because the manufacturer isn't blindly allowing the end user to experience the joy of a freely rotating buffer tube or a launched buffer retaining pin. It's an easy corner to cut for the manufacturer looking to save time on builds.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    Because if XXXX or XXX does it obviously everyone else should too...

I think people get too wrapped up in it myself. I have a (oh no close your eyes) Bushmaster and I added a VLTOR Mod stock and tube and didnt stake anything, years and thousands of rounds and many classes later I've had zero issue

Proper torque is an amazing thing!
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saginaw79 View Post
    Because if XXXX or XXX does it obviously everyone else should too...

I think people get too wrapped up in it myself. I have a (oh no close your eyes) Bushmaster and I added a VLTOR Mod stock and tube and didnt stake anything, years and thousands of rounds and many classes later I've had zero issue

Proper torque is an amazing thing!
    Apparently torque wasn't enough. The US Military specified torque AND staking in the technical manual but hey what the hell do they know?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saginaw79 View Post
    Hope that helps clear it up!
    Not really.

A stock is either installed correctly or it isn't, there is no kinda correctly. Just as there is not kinda pregnant.

As I said in my article if your AR is for showing off during the holidays, or you're a Fudd who just wanted an AR because you think BHO wants to ban them (and you voted for him) then do as you please since it's a toy.

If it's something you might one day use to defend yourself or the life of others then it needs to be right.
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 01-20-09 at 07:55.

Feedback Score
    *grabs his popcorn and pulls up a chair*

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Honestly, you can do whatever you want with your rifle. There is no law that says staking the castle nut is required. If it works for you, thats fantastic. Its just that some people who stake (no pun intended) their lives and others lives on their rifles like the components to be in the best possible working order, and that means staking the castle nut. Sure, unstaked might work but why take the risk. You never want to have to say "Man, I wished I would have staked my castle nut." It takes less than 2 min to complete and it is the proper thing to do.

All professionals Im sure have staked nuts. Its probably for a reason.

But, like I said earlier you can do whatever you want.
    Last edited by parishioner; 01-19-09 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I have mostly converted to the cult M4carbine.net but this is one things I am still not 100% convinced is all that important.

Don't get me wrong I see no reason NOT to do it. But still don't see it as a sign of poor quality.

Then again what do I know. /shrug

That is why I am here, to learn and become a better shooter.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast