Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VZ-58 in Iraq

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

VZ-58 in Iraq

Just got back in from a mission in Karbala and I wanted to upload this photo of me with a Czechoslovakian VZ-58. It was issued to a specific Iraqi Army unit.

I told them that I thought it was probably the best AK variant made, but they actually preferred the regular ak. Their biggest complaint was that the hand guards got too hot too quickly. Some of them carried M16s and they all thought it was superior to the AK. They said it was easier to aim and shoot, especially on full auto.

Anyhow, here is proof that the VZ is issued to certain Iraqi army units...

Last edited by Iraq Ninja; 12-20-08 at 10:27.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Very cool pic, thanks!

The handguards do get very hot very quickly.....old school bakelite with no heat shields.

I prefer the shootablity of my vz-58 to my AK's.

Thanks for taking the pic, stay safe!
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have one back home, and agree with you. I changed out my hand guards to the plastic ones made in Israel and the heating issue went away.

What impresses me about the VZ is how small it is with a folding stock. Plus, the machined receiver is simply outstanding.

Being a lefty, the VZ is more ergonomic for me than the M4. With a micro aimpoint, it is a joy to shoot.

The Iraqi soldiers seem to be taking good care of their M16s too.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    With a micro aimpoint, it is a joy to shoot.
    How are you mounting it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I mounted it on the plastic rails of the hand guard without any additional mount.

the hand guards: http://www.zahal.org/FAB/sa58.html

Last leave I ran about 700 rounds thru my VZ with the micro aimpoint and had no problems with is holding a zero. I will probably upgrade the aimpoint mount to something a bit stronger.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Can you tell me about the belt/suspenders rig you are wearing in the picture? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Crye Precision blast belt and suspenders. I don't think you can buy them yet...

Emdom waist bag which I use to hold my medical supplies. I used to carry my med kit on my vest, but moved it to my waist so both my hands could reach it. This also allows me to carry more mags on my vest. You can barely see my Glock 17 tucked between the waist bag and the belt. It hides it quiet well, and allows me to walk around in a secure compound and still be armed. A lot of the Iraqi government buildings don't want you walking around with full body armor and M4s.

The location was at an Iraqi Army gate inside an Iraqi government building in Karbala. Everyone else was playing soccer with the Americans, while I went off to chat up the guards.
    Last edited by Iraq Ninja; 12-20-08 at 12:13.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I-Ninja,

I have two of them in my armory with about a dozen mags.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BigRed had one for awhile as well. We had a bunch in Afghan at the Embassy for a while as well, they had been Afghan Police guns I think.

I was told the Czechs sold/donated a number of them to offset some of their M4 purchases.

The ones I fired had an incredibly flat recoil - even on auto, with a really high cyclic rate
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    cool picture!Thank you and Be safe Bro.

NRA Member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast