Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Profile Pinned Gas Block?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Low Profile Pinned Gas Block?

Does anyone know where I can get a low profile pinned gas block that will replace a standard Front Sight Base. It needs to fit under a rail (Daniel Defense, Larue, etc.). The only ones I have seen are all set screw or clamp on type. I don't trust anything other than a true pinned gas block, because I have seen several set screw gas blocks come loose. Thank you for your help.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    None would work. They'd have to offer several variations of the same thing. When barrels are made the FSB and barrel are drilled for the pins. So the exact locations of the pins varies from manufacturer to manufactures and varies even from the same manufacturer.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I apologize in advance for the hijack.

Rob, on my 10.3" that you have seen, I am interested in the DD Omega 9.0 and removing the FSB and going to flip-ups.

Can you simply replace the FSB with a Lo-Pro Gas-Block, or would you have to grind down the FSB as it is already pinned for that Colt barrel and can't be replaced?

Also, would DD Omega work in this configuration?

Thanks,

Tyler

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deskjockey View Post
    I apologize in advance for the hijack.

Rob, on my 10.3" that you have seen, I am interested in the DD Omega 9.0 and removing the FSB and going to flip-ups.

Can you simply replace the FSB with a Lo-Pro Gas-Block, or would you have to grind down the FSB as it is already pinned for that Colt barrel and can't be replaced?

Also, would DD Omega work in this configuration?

Thanks,

Tyler

I do the 'shave' of the FSB to make them fit under rails. All three of my SBRs have 'shaved' FSB and are held on by the factory/OEM 2 pins. A lo-pro gas block can be used instead and then drilled and pinned but it costs more. An Omega rail has very little room under it. I have done one like that for a fellow M4C member but it's not going to be easy to ever remove the 'shaved' FSB because I had to grind the pins down so everything is flush.
    I had to 'shave' it while it was still attached to the barrel because it's a CMMG 14.7" barrel with a perm. attached A2 flash hider. It's also a .625" barrel and I'm not even sure if I could get a .750" barrels FSB small enough to fit under there. There's only a very small amount of free space between the one I did on the .625" barrels gas block.

I'd suggest a 9" Lite Rail. That's what I have on my 10" SBR.

Feedback Score
    Everywhere is out of the 9.0 Lite. Rob, would the DD Mk II RIS for the Mk18 Work? Found one of those.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deskjockey View Post
    Everywhere is out of the 9.0 Lite. Rob, would the DD Mk II RIS for the Mk18 Work? Found one of those.
    Should be fine, that's what the Mk18 RIS II was designed for (a 10" upper), the MK18 RIS II are 9.5" rails, that's the rail that's on my 12.5" SBR.

G&R built up some nice ones.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...highlight=Mk18

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get a low profile pinned gas block that will replace a standard Front Sight Base. It needs to fit under a rail (Daniel Defense, Larue, etc.). The only ones I have seen are all set screw or clamp on type. I don't trust anything other than a true pinned gas block, because I have seen several set screw gas blocks come loose. Thank you for your help.
    Here's some other pics of some that I've 'shaved'.

This LMT has a 12" Troy over it with an ARES piston conversion.

This Bushy barrel has a 12" Troy rail mounted over it.

My now 12.5" Bushy barrel under a Mk18 RIS II rail.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I guess the only viable option would be to shave the fsb. What do you use to cut and grind, a dremel? On a side note- if you can't get a shaved fsb under a Daniel Defense Omega rail, what rail would you recommend? I really want one that has quick detach swivel cups with rotation limiters. I currently have a 7" DD Omega rail and I like the swivel cups.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    I guess the only viable option would be to shave the fsb. What do you use to cut and grind, a dremel? On a side note- if you can't get a shaved fsb under a Daniel Defense Omega rail, what rail would you recommend? I really want one that has quick detach swivel cups with rotation limiters. I currently have a 7" DD Omega rail and I like the swivel cups.
    I use a plasma cutter, die grinder and a grinder, then sandblast and refinish with Norrels along with the barrel.

I recommend the DD Lite Rail or RIS II rails or a LaRue. The newer LaRue rails have them built in. You can bolt on a DD QD sling mount onto any rail.

Feedback Score
    Dude, looks great.

Rob, what would be the turnaround if I order and get the RIS this week?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast