Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subsonic .223/5.56

Feedback Score

Subsonic .223/5.56

Hey guys I know this has been talked about alot, and I am not looking for people to put their 2cents in and tell me to get a .22

Anyways, I am wondering if someone knows a place to get 'decently' priced subsonic .223/5.56 to mess around with. To be more specific I am using a 16" 1/9 twist barrel with a AAC SPR/M4 and I am not some technical guru who know which weight / grain to get that will be ideal for my setup. I know there has to be people out there that also cream everytime they hear a subsonic through a silenced AR.

I do not make my own rounds so that is not an option. I have found the obvious Engel Ballistic rounds, but they are a little bit pricey. I would like rounds that will cycle and I know the Ultra Stealth rounds they make do not (supposedly on purpose), but I also see their 'Military' subsonic that do cycle and would love to get my hands on some of those if available. I would think there would be a big market for these if someone would step up and produce an affordable option.

Well enough rambling, Please comment on any experiences and maybe places to buy such ammo. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have never heard of a round that would be both subsonic and cycle an AR. I can't even notionalize how that would be possible with the required pressure curve to get the gun to cycle.

Because of the Low volume ratio load detonation risk, I would never fire subsonic .223 ammo in my guns anyway.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    http://www.ebr-inc.net/556Subsonic.html

evidently it is very possible

Feedback Score
    In general, subsonic rifle ammo is very niche specific and rarely used. I can count on one hand the number of organizations I know of that have actually needed to use suppressed subsonic rifle projectiles in the real world. Subsonic rifle ammo is going to be below 1150 f/s...it then acts like a long handgun bullet and does NOT possess typical rifle projectile terminal effects. Also, think how the sound wave propagates away from the bullet flight path at supersonic velocities to see why the shooter location is hard to localize using a suppressor and supersonic rifle ammo.

For those who truly need subsonic or other similar specialty ammo, Engel Ballistic Research makes the best we've seen to date: http://www.ebr-inc.net/Home.asp

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
    evidently it is very possible
    I'd be very interested to see how.... from a reloader's standpoint that would be quite challenging.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In general, subsonic rifle ammo is very niche specific and rarely used. I can count on one hand the number of organizations I know of that have actually needed to use suppressed subsonic rifle projectiles in the real world. Subsonic rifle ammo is going to be below 1150 f/s...it then acts like a long handgun bullet and does NOT possess typical rifle projectile terminal effects. Also, think how the sound wave propagates away from the bullet flight path at supersonic velocities to see why the shooter location is hard to localize using a suppressor and supersonic rifle ammo.

For those who truly need subsonic or other similar specialty ammo, Engel Ballistic Research makes the best we've seen to date: http://www.ebr-inc.net/Home.asp
    Oh I agree, I have no "need" for subsonic ammo, I am not going to covertly sneak into a building and take out a group of people without ever being heard. I am just looking for stuff to 'mess' around with. I know very well it will not be hitting targets at 500 yrds, but according to what I have seen it will reach 100yrds which is pretty difficult on pistol ammo. Regardless of all of this I am just seeing if anyone knows where to get some subsonics that are safe for the AR and are at a reasonable price. EBR is great, just a little pricey, but if thats what you have to pay then you pay it, I was just curious of alternatives since I would assume others have had the same quest as me..

Feedback Score
    "...it will reach 100yrds which is pretty difficult on pistol ammo."
    Depends...a lot of good instructors, like Larry Vickers, Pat Rogers, and other, have a walk back drill with handguns--you'd be surprised how many hits you can get at 100+ yards with a service caliber hand gun and iron sights!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Depends...a lot of good instructors, like Larry Vickers, Pat Rogers, and other, have a walk back drill with handguns--you'd be surprised how many hits you can get at 100+ yards with a service caliber hand gun and iron sights!
    Indeed.

Feedback Score
    I watched Pat Rogers shoot a steel target at 200 yards.

With a 1911.

So don't say that it can't be done.

If I wanted to shoot a subsonic suppressed bullet, I'd get a .338 Spectre.

PS I've shot J frames at over 100 yards with some success.

Feedback Score
    honestly this has nothing to do with this thread, I am not concerned with how far I can get a pistol round... talk about a rabbit trail....

Anyways, if anyone has any more information about subsonic .223/5.56 please feel free to post.. If its a dead topic than so be it.. I will just go with the ebr and forget about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast