Thread: ION Bond SPR-M 5.56 Barrel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ION Bond SPR-M 5.56 Barrel

Anyone have one of these?

I would like any and all feedback.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Dave
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    The original SPR barrels were CLE cut from Douglas premium blanks. Of course they didn't have ION-bond back then and I believe the real ones had an AMU match chamber, not Wylde. But that's nitpicking and if you're an originality nut then this is not a bad way to go.

Of course there's always the question of whether you NEED to spend that much money for an SPR barrel. If you want to spend the money, go for it. This one will probably shoot a bit better than, say, a $200-cheaper White Oak barrel, but the reality is that few people can shoot the difference anyway. I know I can't.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Money is no issue for this build. I'll be able to tell a 1/2 minute difference in accuracy. I'm just wondering if any has any specific experience with these- even without the Ion Bond.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only reason I don't get a boner over this barrel is because only the exterior is treated.

I've been looking at Superior barrels with their Hard Blue process, which also treats the bore. They start with a Lothar Walther barrel, which is supposed to be of higher quality than a Douglas.

I also care about ultimate precision and would be able to discern a 1/2MOA difference.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe The Ion Bond is a PVD(Physical Vapor Deposition) coating and cannot be applied to the inside of the barrel based on the process.

I could be wrong, but I believe the only way to coat the inside and outside would be some type of "dip" or bath coating.

This upper will be for precision shooting- I need accuracy.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just ordered an Ion Bonded Noveske barrel from Denny about half an hour ago. you don't want to go the Noveske route?
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I just ordered an Ion Bonded Noveske barrel from Denny about half an hour ago. you don't want to go the Noveske route?
    Noveske is never out of the question. I don't know what I'm gaining losing with either.
    I just wanted some info on the overall consensus of the Denny's Ion Bond Barrel.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just ordered the Ion Bond SPR-M barrel from GTS.
    I'll let you all know how it shoots when I get home in a couple months.
    Dave

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    no experience with ion bond here, but fwiw, I have done two builds with denny's recon style barrels (16" midlength, 1/7, wylde) and no problems ringing steel out to 600 with an acog.

no probs with his barrels and I would buy again, and it just so happens i was in the market for a similar barrel this month, but he didn't have the exact specs I wanted, so I had to get someone to make it custom for me. oh well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sproing View Post
    The original SPR barrels were CLE cut from Douglas premium blanks. Of course they didn't have ION-bond back then and I believe the real ones had an AMU match chamber, not Wylde. But that's nitpicking and if you're an originality nut then this is not a bad way to go.

Of course there's always the question of whether you NEED to spend that much money for an SPR barrel. If you want to spend the money, go for it. This one will probably shoot a bit better than, say, a $200-cheaper White Oak barrel, but the reality is that few people can shoot the difference anyway. I know I can't.
    CLE does great work but they have never done any of the military MK12 barrels. They do have the profile and make clones but none of those have gone on military guns.