Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st 1911..which one ?

Feedback Score

1st 1911..which one ?

Looking to buy my first one. which one do you recommend ?
    I don't really want to start with a $3K custom

what about Colt Gvt or SA mil spec ?

open to suggestions of course.

thanks

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Given those two options, I would go with the SA and just modify to suit your needs and desires after you shoot it enough to know what it is you want and like out of your 1911 .
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    SA MC Operator or SA FBI Pro CRG w/ Light Rail.

Your done w/ either purchase and they will be every bit as good as you need to be.

HTH...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Knowledge of intended purpose and future plans for the pistol would be helpful.

Your own initial choices are good choices for a variety of reasons. Both are generally reliable, of decent build quality and get you an experience with original platform. If I hadn't bought a series 70 Colt, I wouldn't have been able to realize that I couldn't use originally-spec-d 1911s. By definition, though, this implies that you'd have a chance to compare with differently spec-d 1911s. Between the two, Colt is my preference, although I'd want to inspect a pistol in person. Obviously, you can have them built into whatever you want later.

I second HOPLOETHOS' recommendations if you want a better contemporarily-spec-d out of box 1911.

Another good unit, in my opinion, is older, pre-series II, Kimber. If I saw a good specimen at decent price, I'd buy it outright even though I am not looking for additional 1911 at this point.

Feedback Score
    SA makes a great 1911. I know I have one..... Dont overlook S&W's 1911's

Feedback Score
    mainly target shooting/ shooting classes on the move and self defense. Pretty much what you expect from a reliable gun.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If it involves carry/SD, I think you'd be best served getting Colt of SA mil-spec, shooting it some, and then having it looked at +/- worked over by a competent gunsmith.
    If you go higher-end right away, you can get a feature set that you may end up not liking. Additionally, higher-end doesn't necessarily guarantee better reliability.

Feedback Score
    I'd suggest a Kimber Warrior - has everything you need!

Feedback Score
    I have been thinking about picking up a Sig 1911. They seem pretty nice.

Feedback Score
    Take a look at the Les Baer Concept Series for a lot of configuration choices in the < $2k range. The Wilson CQB is also worth a look. It's worth it to spend a little more on a 1911 for quality = reliability if this is the route you want to go. Both of these brands offer high-quality turnkey 1911 choices.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast