Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any reliability issues on a Glock with an attached light?

Feedback Score

Any reliability issues on a Glock with an attached light?

(I'll apologize in advance; I know this has been discussed before, but over an hour of searching and I couldn't find the thread, so I thought I'd ask. I'd like to replace my Operator w/X300 with a G22 and the X300 for nightstand duty, and I want a bit more information than a post or two over at 'The Other' forum will get me. )

I have read some anecdotal-type stuff on a few other forums, claiming that the Glock 22 (and other models apparently?) don't like certain types of attached lights. The stories range from 'metal' lights (X200, TLR-1, etc) are the culprits, while still others said that any type of light can cause a failure, and yet others talking about magazines with a certain number of coils, combined with a light, are the true culprit.

And of course, there were posts stating there was/is no widespread issue of Glocks reliability being affected by attached lights.

So what is the skinny on this? Is this an issue at all? Model specific? (Referring to both the model of Glock and/or the model of the attached light.)

Edit to add: As of 9/26, I crossed the 1500 round mark with the G22 and an X300. My G22 is new manufacture, and the magazines are '8' marked. Ammo was mostly 180gr Wolf, with some RA40T mixed in. No malfuctions so far...
    Last edited by Bob; 09-26-08 at 04:39. Reason: Update.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The .40 cal Glocks do indeed have an issue with rail mounted lights like the X200/X300.

If there's a 100% guaranteed solution, I'm unaware of it. (Then again, I am unaware of a lot of things in this world...) To the best of my knowledge a number of different solutions have been tried from different mag springs to different recoil springs and different ammo in an attempt to solve the problem but some folks still had problems after trying those fixes.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If using a light on a G22/31 it's best to make sure that you do have the newer 11 coil mag springs (they've been in the factory mags for a few years now).

Or better yet upgrade to the extra power Wolff or ISMI mag springs and/or slightly heavier rate recoil springs (not factory Glock endorsed).
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    In the glossy printed material that came with my X300, Surefire indicates that if you are going to use their light on a Glock, that you should test it for reliability after installation.

If Surefire is confident enough to have glossy literature printed up to that effect, I would assume that there is a quantifiable issue that needs to be vetted by each end user.

Feedback Score
    Glock .40s + metal lights.

Feedback Score
    Has there been any issues reported with G19 and X200/300 series lights?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been using a G21 with a X200 mounted for a little over a year now and have not had a single malfunction. I used this setup in VTAC class where I shot around 1,400 rounds, have put at least 2,500 rounds downrange in regular training and carry the gun on daily patrol.

I also have never heard of a 9mm Glock malfing with this setup. This isn't to say it hasn't happened, but I'm not aware of it.

The 40 S&W Glocks seem to be very malfunction prone with the light attached. Some people attribute this to the frame being unable to flex enough and others attribute it to the magazine and recoil spring combos.

Make sure you put plenty of rounds downrange before you decide to try and carry any gun with a light attached.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
    As I said, I think it would probably be best that you test, test, test to be sure you are not the first issue. Especially if you rely on that combo for potentially saving your life.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No issues with my G34 TLR-1 setup...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
    I don't recall seeing any with the 9mm Glocks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast