Page 1 of 142 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: I am taking the 5.45x39mm plunge! updated 09-23-09

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I am taking the 5.45x39mm plunge! updated 09-23-09

I went ahead and ordered a S&W 5.45mm upper from Talon Arms.

Comes with one 30 Round Magazine and Bolt Carrier Assembly

SKU: 812005
    Model: M&P15
    Caliber: 5.45 x 39mm
    Action: Semi-Auto
    Barrel Length: 16"
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 8"
    Front Sight: M4 Post
    Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
    Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
    Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
    Chromed Comp: Barrel Bore, Gas Key Bolt Carrier, Chamber
    I have a lower that I can beat on that will go perfect with this upper. I figure I will shoot this gun for practice. After I run a 1080 round tin of corrosive through it I'll evaluate. If it runs well I'll consider making it a training gun. If it chokes a bit (which is what I fully expect) then I will probably just keep it a practice gun. Actually I have no problem at all with a practice gun that chokes a bit - I can work on malf clearance. I just won't bring it to a class.

I ordered a few extra mags from CProducts and I plan on distinctly marking them.

I'll update as I can to show my results.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 09-22-09 at 23:42.

Feedback Score
    Interesting.

Please update once you receive it and have some range time.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thekatar

Just a little FYI. I bought two complete MP15s in 5.45x39 just before our class. Neither one of the rifles ran with the shitty C Products mags that were supplied. The rounds would crash into the feed ramps just below the cuts and just sit there. As you can imagine I was a little pissed. HK and standard issue GI mag with green follower (5.56) ran with out issue. I was running Wolff ammo.

Before I hang all the bells and whistles on it I need to get it worked out. Talked to S&W customer service and the guy I spoke to was not even aware they made a 5.45 or that it had a different mag. I told him I would send him a video so he could better understand the issue and pass it along to the so called "rifle guys". I also plan on sending it to Ernie because I know he gives a shit. Custer service is sending me a call tag so they can send me another shitty mag instead of addressing the problem.

I believe Smith and Wesson is going to get a black eye on this because they trust the function of their weapon to an inferior supplier. I own over 50 C Products mags that I’m trying to sale because they just don’t work reliably.

Just be aware of the C Products mag. I have had nothing but problems with their 9mm mags as well.

Congrats on the new rifle and watch the mags. I will keep you posted and let you know how it works out.

copperfield

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    CProd seems to be the Olympic Arms of Mag production.

I can remember that nut at Cprod getting pissy with me on TOS when I pointed out their QC issues to shooters who asked about them.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Neither one of the rifles ran with the shitty C Products mags that were supplied. The rounds would crash into the feed ramps just below the cuts and just sit there. As you can imagine I was a little pissed. HK and standard issue GI mag with green follower (5.56) ran with out issue. I was running Wolff ammo.
    Very interesting - thanks for the heads up!

As I said I fully expect there to be snags in this but I hope it runs at least *most* of the time...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    CP's involvement here is one of the reasons I've stayed away from these uppers.

I already have one project (9mm AR) that I was relying on CP magazines for which is now teetering on the brink because of them.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    CP's involvement here is one of the reasons I've stayed away from these uppers.

I already have one project (9mm AR) that I was relying on CP magazines for which is now teetering on the brink because of them.
    Agree to an extent but if what Copperfield says holds true then I can just return the 5.45mm mags and designate some USGI aluminums for 5.45. We shall see... as I said I'll report my results. If the CProducts don't work I will make it known.

Feedback Score
    Just remember you have to clean the barrel with something water based. Otherwise that corrosive crap will sit and eat the barrel.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Just remember you have to clean the barrel with something water based. Otherwise that corrosive crap will sit and eat the barrel.
    I am a big believer in the boiling water flush, with the WD-40 purge.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I really want one of these to work out. It seems to be superb way to approach high-volume training on an AR platform.

Can anyone comment on the differrence in recoil impulse between a 5.45 and 5.56 in an AR upper? I have shot plenty of 5.45, but all in other platforms. Just wondering if there is any appreciable difference.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 142 1231151101 ... LastLast