Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Known issues with Beretta Storm?

Feedback Score

Known issues with Beretta Storm?

What are the complaints about the Beretta PX4 Storm? I am considering picking up one of these but I can't find anyone who knows anything significant. I heard some people weren't happy with the grips, but it seemed fine to me when I tried it. It would be interesting to know what you gentlemen think of the gun because I am also interested in seeing the newer subcompact when they release it...does Beretta release guns prematurely?
    Thank you,
    Shannon

Feedback Score
    Over on Berettaweb, there are reports of 'Trigger Sting'.

FWIW, a friend has a 9mm variant that has a few thousand rounds through it, with no 'sting'.

ToddG Guest
    I'm teaching a class in Canada in September, about half the students are LEO issued the PX4. My understanding is that they're not thrilled with the guns, but I don't have details yet.

The rotating barrel system is more prone to malfunctions than traditional locking mechanisms. The Cougar, Beretta's first rotating barrel pistol, never really took off in popularity in part because of this. Both of the "big" agencies that issued the gun -- Utah and North Carolina -- had enough problems that they eventually dumped the guns.

The ones I've shot have all worked fine, but some friends who were formerly part of "Team Beretta" quit their sponsorships en masse when told they would have to give up their 90-series pistols and begin shooting the PX4.

Feedback Score
    If its anything like my Uncle's Cougar, the trigger is absolutely terrible. And that doesn't add up to very good accuracy. Atleast for me. I couldn't hit crap with that gun. Perhaps other people have had better luck. I did know another guy who had one, and had similar opinions of it,

Feedback Score
    I have the PX4 9mm version. Recent acquisition and only about 200 rds down range.

The grips are very comfortable to me. I have not even yet attempted to switch out the backstrap panel to see if either of the other 2 will make any difference.

I bougth the "F" type with safety and decocker with a DA/SA trigger. DA trigger pull is obviously substantially different with much longer and heavier pull than the SA.

To date, I have had zero issues with this gun. It is my daily carry.

Accuracy is better than I can personally do.

On the Beretta forum there has been discussions about the trigger sting on the PX4, but it seems to be limited to mostly the .40 and some .45 versions. Personally, I have not experienced this yet.

The PX4 subcompact was eventually released (late - NOT early) and there are some available in the market already. I think I will stick with my full size PX4.

Feedback Score
    i had a cougar about 10 yrs ago . sharp edges that drew blood , crappy trigger, and the slide refused to lock back on the last round no matter what mag i used . got rid of it rather quickly

Feedback Score

Thanks

Thank you all so much! I think I will let the Beretta pass.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    What is the point of the rotating barrel lockup? I never really understood.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a 8040 and a 8045 Cougar. No particular problems with them. 8045 had pretty soft recoil, actually. Didn't shoot them all that much and sold them when I decided to stick with 9mm in guns I do shoot. Triggers were just like any other gun I have ever shot, but then I tend to be trigger tolerant.

If you are interested in trying out a rotating barreled gun you might look at the Turkish made Stoeger versions of the Cougar, pretty reasonably priced.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    What is the point of the rotating barrel lockup? I never really understood.
    Option 1: To be different.

Option 2: In theory it can be more accurate because the barrel doesn't tilt. Also, in my experience, the rotating bolt guns tend to have less felt recoil.

When the PX4 was in the pre-drawing board stage (circa 2002), I was working at Beretta as the Law Enforcement Operations Manager. A few of us were brought in to offer ideas about how the gun should be designed. Every one of us said, "No rotating barrel." To which the Italians responded, "That's already been decided. It will have a rotating barrel."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast