Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burris XTR 1-4x24 opinions???

Feedback Score
    To the OP--I agree and I disagree with you regarding the AccuPoint and its limits hitting at extended ranges. Its a good optic and it fits many a need for many a Joe both here and in the GWOT and Im sure its only a matter of time before the Burris XTR series of optics gains the the reputation and widespread use that the AccuPoint is now starting to see.

So, PLEASE buy the darn thing (XTR) so I can get an idea of how good (or bad) the sucker is!!! Until more of the XTR's get out and put to use there will be alot of ??? regarding same and that will keep sales low for awhile.

To the OP--What are your thoughts for a mount? Given that the published ER seems pretty good I would think the the LaRue SPR-E would be the way to go but I could be wrong. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    actually the link i posted for you has the accupoint with the new german #4 crosshair reticle and small lit Dot for easy target acquisiton, the dot is something like .9 moa at 4x and 2.5 moa or so when on 1.25 power........so the dot gets smaller for precision shots and bigger for up close work........anyway thought it might fit your needs

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LettersFromEarth View Post
    So, PLEASE buy the darn thing (XTR) so I can get an idea of how good (or bad) the sucker is!!! Until more of the XTR's get out and put to use there will be alot of ??? regarding same and that will keep sales low for awhile.

To the OP--What are your thoughts for a mount? Given that the published ER seems pretty good I would think the the LaRue SPR-E would be the way to go but I could be wrong. Good luck.
    LOL, I'm definitely buying it, I'm still short about $200, so I should have it here by the 12th of this month, if all goes right.
    As for the mount, I'm using the supplied Burris XTR 30mm rings (I'm buying the model that comes with rings and the FastFire holosight on top). I still am considering the Leupold Mark 4 MR-T M2 scope, which costs $120 more, and doesn't come with rings, and is quickly losing the race between my choice and the date I order. I was thinking about buying the XTR 1-4 "scope only", which costs $599 instead of $749 for the model with rings and Fastfire sight.. IF I decide that those rings aren't going to be good enough - and I really don't need that FastFire holosight on the optic... just more bulk on my rifle. I'm considered a poor person, and anytime I drop several hundred bucks on something, I get meticulous with decision preparation and such...
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Okay, if I had a choice to make I would get the base version w/out the MRD and rings and use the extra dosh to buy a LaRue mount for it. I mean the XTR can be dialed down to a 1x optic so adding another is a bit much IMHO. Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh I totally agree... that holosight on top of the Burris is just overkill, something else to get broken off your rifle and add weight... I know it's to help "reflex" style tactical shooting, but with a true 1x optic that can be fired with both eyes open, why take your cheek off the stock to aim through a higher optic?
    The base scope is $599, and the version with rings/holo is $749... $150 more... are LaRue mounts really worth paying $190 for?? Or are the cheaper ones ok too? I've never used a LaRue product - I am using a JP on piece mount/ring base on my LR-308, which I paid like $140 for, and it's been rock solid.
    What mount would you recommend for $150 or under?
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    LaRue mounts kick a$$, my friend. They are worthy of the hype and the props folk tend to give them. Sure, they are pricey--so what. If its going on a duty or home def weapon its worth even MORE than what Mark LaRue will get from you. Dont half ass it now, Damascus. You have a good gun with your S&W and will soon have good glass for it as well. Get a LaRue mount for it and complete the circle so to speak.

BTW--some good people here on this site have become fans of mounts offered by ADM. I have no hands on w/them so they are an unknown road that Im not sure about going down yet but I'd say give them a look as well. They have a mount called the "Scout" that looks like it will work well for you and the bank account. I dont think its offered yet in an EER format yet so if your a NTCH shooter it might not work for you. Look for a guy who posts under the name "Stickman" and send him a PM. He knows the game better than I as far as ADM goes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like a plan then. Been looking around the different models on LaRue's website, and they all are sort of "canted forward" of the base itself... This would appear that you would mount the base of the LaRue mount at the rear of your flattop upper, thus positioning the scope further forward for proper eye relief? If this is true, then where would you mount your BUIS? Can this mount be reversed, so I can leave the BIUS on there?
    This weapon WILL be used for duty, I am preparing for a 90 day trip to western mid- Africa, working for a private security company, and I don't want to half-a$$ this weapon.
    From what all I've been reading, and this evening I contacted a few buddies that I served with that knew a bit more about brands than I keep up with, and they all corroborated what you said: LaRue mounts are the way to go. Thanx!

Feedback Score
    Damascus,
    I sent you a PM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    I've never used a LaRue product - I am using a JP on piece mount/ring base on my LR-308, which I paid like $140 for, and it's been rock solid.
    What mount would you recommend for $150 or under?

I have used both, the JP is a great mount and if you don't need the QR function it's good to go..

now, I would say if my life was on the line I would probably opt for the Larue as it just seems beefier and maybe up to more abuse.

Feedback Score
    Since the bullet drop compensator is set for 62 grain bullets would the compensator be completely off if a different bullet weight was used (say 55 or 77 grain)?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast