Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR: Vickers Tactical AK Weapon Series Class

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

AAR: Vickers Tactical AK Weapon Series Class

Vickers Tactical held it's forth very successful AK weapon series class this weekend. I would like to thank everybody who attended, you helped to make it an outstanding class.

Please use this thread for class pictures and comments.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Indeed, more to follow. The highlight was shooting the Sturmgewehr 44!

It was my first official AK class and was thoroughly impressed with LAV's instruction.

I should get some pics tomorrow of my new piece, the piston upper from ADC.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just hit the motel.

Great class, it was a pleasure to meet everybody and see a bunch of repeats from AK class #1.

This class went very well and I think that it was the best class, bang per buck per round, I have taken yet. PEROID!

First, IF YOU WERE IN THE CLASS let me say: CHECK YOURSELF FOR TICKS!!!!!!!!

I just caught one of the bloodsuckers before he could get the well drilled to the vein.

After that:

The class was a mix of calibers with 7.62x39mm rifles making up more than half the wepons on the line. This included two CZ-58's!

That said, the shooters and that caliber would make MT Kalashnikov proud if he were there to bear witness to its efficacy on the walk-back drills.
    At 200M and under, this weapons realistic envelope, the caliber perfomed very well using a 100M zero, which Larry emphasizes for this class of rifles.

As someone once said:"The AR is more reliable than you think it is and the AK is more accurate than you think it is."
    Truthfully, based on this class and the AR class in February, there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between the two. There were very, very few malfunctions with either (Yes, there were a handful of AK malfs too!) AND PRACTICAL ACCURACY WAS PRETTY MUCH ON PAR ONE FOR THE OTHER.

The differences between the platforms is far, far slimmer than most people think.

Day one started with establishing/confirming our zero, shooting from the prone, sitting (briefly) and kneeling positions. Then we moved to shooting from the standing position at various ranges (up to 25m IIRC) from the target. Before lunch break, we had our first walk-back drill from approx 80M to 180to 200M. I may be mistaken but I think Templar won that one with his CZ-58. I apologise if I am slighting anyone thru omission. Nevertheless, Dinger and Templar gave a very good account of the weapon.

After lunch, we moved into transitions. I once thought I saw Larry heading for his knees in a devine plea for assistance but he refrained and proceeded to pass judgment on out pistolcraft. Larry then interuppted our normal programming for some remedial handgun 101. Dryfire, Ball and Dummy followed by more pistol shooting to help us face down the dreaded El Snatcho Maximo!

Then we moved on to turning and shooting.

TD#1 ended with another walk-back drill.

Training Day two moved on to malfunction drills and transition to the weak side.

One more walkback drill and then everyone got a chance to fire Larry's "Star of Weponology" Sturmghewer MP(STG)-44.
    The winners of the previous walkback drills got a whole magazine. Everyone else were provided eight rounds of the rare 7.92x33mm ammo to expend thru Larry's prize possession.

Thanks to Larry once again for bringing this remarkable piece of history for everyone to try!
    We moved to shooting on the move, both forward and backwards and then finished with a couple of shooting while moving around obstacles.
    IIRC, they were called the serpent and the triangle. These pushed us outside of our comfort level. Larry empahsizes being able to shoot accurately while on the move.

One more walkback drill and a police call finished the day.

Thanks again to Larry and his AI along with Dinger.

I look forward to seeing the rest of you in future LAV classes!

EDIT: found another copy!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Others will do a more thorough AAR I'm sure.

This AK class was a good one and I enjoyed it more than the inaugural class because I didn't spend the entire class fighting with my equipment this time. The BFG "Victory" sling and universal loop attachment setup that I used worked very well.

Deciding to mount an Aimpoint was also a wonderful idea, and it improved my performance with my VEPR dramatically. I wouldn't have made that 200 yard shot on the last walkback drill (or, frankly, most of the shots that lead to that one shot) if I was using iron sights. The AK, in my opinion, benefits tremendously from the addition of an Aimpoint...even moreso than the AR family of weapons.

That being said, there were a number of guys shooting iron sights that were turning in exceptionally good performance. Having sucked out loud with irons I know that is no easy feat, so my hat is off to them.

Getting some full-auto trigger time on the STMG was wonderful. Mr. Vickers is generous to give his students the ability to shoot a weapon that most have never even seen in person before. In and of itself that experience is worth the price of admission. By the end of the STMG shoot the weapon was literally smoking hot....something that made the gun collector in me cringe. There aren't many people on the planet who will take a weapon like that and hand it to 16 relative strangers along with the ammo to shoot through it.

The course overall was much as I expected it to be. I've trained with Mr. Vickers a couple of other times since the inaugural AK class and I've always learned a great deal and I've benefited tremendously from his instruction. The AK class, like the low light classes, has tremendous repeat value, especially for an individual (like me) who hardly ever fires an AK of any sort. This run through the AK course re-enforced the observations I made in the first course, namely that the AK is a much more capable weapon than 99% of shooters on the planet, and that with enough training just about anyone can learn to run the AK as effectively as the AR. I'm certainly not an expert shooter, but I am better trained and better practiced than most people who are posting on the internet and in the chain of weapon-ammo-shooter, I am the weakest link on every platform I've ever tried.

...leading me to believe that many who opine about the limitations of the AK platform on the internet are...well...out of their lane.

I was also impressed by the VZ-58. The weapon is light, handy, and at least in my hands proved to be very accurate. It's not just any weapon you can pick up for the first time and start ringing a small steel target with off-hand at 200 yards with iron sights....well, at least not for me.

Getting some trigger time on the ADH AR piston system was also nice.

Most weapons ran very well through the course. Big Fat Bertha (my VEPR) didn't experience a single malfunction (that I didn't deliberately induce) through the course, and most other weapons ran similarly well. There was only a single 5.56 AK in the course, and it actually ran fairly well despite an early malfunction. The class was mainly 7.62x39 weapons. A couple had shell casings get lost inside the receiver, gumming up the works. The 5.45 AK's ran well too, but TheKatar's weapon started keyholing something fierce with Wolf 5.45 ammo during today's shooting.

I don't know if he was shooting Wolf yesterday or not, but I didn't notice evidence of keyholing on his target yesterday. It appeared to run just fine with Bulgarian ammo.

General gear lessons:

1. If you want a red dot optic for any serious use or that will potentially be used for any serious purpose, buy an Aimpoint.....ESPECIALLY on an AK, as EOTechs on AK's are uglier than Rosie O'Donnell dry humping Whoopie Goldberg. Aimpoint micros are awesome on AK's with Ultimak rails.

2. If you want an AK that works well, stick to AK's in com-bloc calibers.

3. Always buy AK magazines with steel re-enforced locking tabs and locking lips. The ones without the steel reenforcement are next to worthless.

4. The first thing you do after buying a Glock is replacing the polymer factory sights with something serviceable.

It was nice to see familiar faces and to shoot with folks I hadn't had the pleasure of meeting before.

The sheer volume of information to learn about AK's is staggering. I have absolutely no idea how Templar can keep all that stuff straight. Hearing Templar and the instructors and TheKatar trade comments about some obscure version of an AK magazine made in Uzbekistan (or some similarly god-forsaken place) along with listing all the specifications of the magazine and ranking it on a quality scale is mind blowing. I could never keep all that straight.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post

4. The first thing you do after buying a Glock is replacing the polymer factory sights with something serviceable.
    I called Heinie and ordered nearly a month ago, it was out of my hands at that point!

The two biggest sucks on the AK series are by far the sights and the safety.

Fortunately, there are excellent solutions now available to mitigate both issues.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'll type out a AAR in the morning but I just wanted to say it was a fantastic and fun class and it was great to put faces and real names to screen names.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    CHECK YOURSELF FOR TICKS!!!!!!!!

Tics have been terrible this year thanks to the warm winter, they never went away.
    I went out in the yard last night and ran a mag through my XD, when I got back in the house I had one crawling up my leg.

Im glad the weather was nice for you guys. Maybe alil warmer than it has been in the last few weeks, but we didnt get the storms they had been forecasting. I did think about you guys when I drove by the range(work) Saturday morning right after the brief rain shower. I had forgotten the class was this weekend til I saw the "sign" out by the road.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DZL HOG View Post

Tics have been terrible this year thanks to the warm winter, they never went away.
    I went out in the yard last night and ran a mag through my XD, when I got back in the house I had one crawling up my leg.

Im glad the weather was nice for you guys. Maybe alil warmer than it has been in the last few weeks, but we didnt get the storms they had been forecasting. I did think about you guys when I drove by the range(work) Saturday morning right after the brief rain shower. I had forgotten the class was this weekend til I saw the "sign" out by the road.
    We thought we were going to get hammered for a little bit there but it only sprinkled for a few minutes and stopped. Luckily the breeze helped us battle the heat.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I had alot of fun and it was cool meeting/putting faces with screen names. This was my third Vickers class this year, hopefully not the last. I will be back for the next AK class, great class. There were some fine examples of the AK at this class, drool factor was very high. Shooting the star of Weaponology was very cool, big Thanks! to Larry. A big thanks to the AI also, your insight was much appreciated. Even though I knew the platform was capable, I was impressed at the number of guys with and without optics ringing the steel at 150-200 yards with ease offhand. I actually won a walk back drill, I surprised myself.
    Last edited by IrishDevil; 06-01-08 at 22:44. Reason: correction/spelling

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I completely agree about that nice breeze we had for both days, it made for two perfect training days.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast