Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muzzle flash photos and sound tests. PWS FFC556 compared.

Feedback Score

Muzzle flash photos and sound tests. PWS FFC556 compared.

I wanted to test the PWS muzzle brake for flash as muzzle brakes tend to make huge amounts of it. My hypothesis was that the prongs on the front would do nothing to help. That turned out to be incorrect. The design does a great job of not exacerbating flash. My personal opinion is that if you wish you could have a flash hider, but cannot due to state regs, this is the best option I am aware of (for this purpose). I have no comment on recoil reduction as I did not test for that.

This set of images uses Lake City XM193 ammo which seems to have no flash retardant powder. M855 has much less flash. To make the test even more difficult, I used a 10 inch barrel. This is worst-case. Later I will post 14.5 barrel tests, which show a much different picture.

Last edited by rsilvers; 03-13-08 at 15:59.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I notice that the FSC556 brake tended to direct the blast back some. Was it indeed more effective than than A2 as the photo shows, or is there more of a fireball outside the photo?

Feedback Score
    Since I had setup the camera to only see to the rear of the muzzle device, I did not realize that it would send some flash back. So there is flash which you do not see in the photo. It is all contained in the 14.5" shots though, so wait for those and you will have a better feel for how it compares to an A2.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Since I had setup the camera to only see to the rear of the muzzle device, I did not realize that it would send some flash back. So there is flash which you do not see in the photo. It is all contained in the 14.5" shots though, so wait for those and you will have a better feel for how it compares to an A2.

Awesome. I am putting mine on a 20" barrel. I assume the flash will be even less on my setup. Sabre Defence is test-firing my weapon today and so I should have it in a week or so.

PS. Do you mind if I link this thread to any other threads on any other sites where people are wondering about the flash-supression of the FSC556 comp?

Feedback Score
    You can either link or repost my photos as long as they are never altered.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    You can either link or repost my photos as long as they are never altered.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Wow, that performace is closer to the AAC blackout than the A2 hider. I am suprised myself!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ever do the test with one of the Vltor muzzle devices?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Wow, that performace is closer to the AAC blackout than the A2 hider. I am suprised myself!
    Well not quite. This was at 400 ISO. My BLACKOUT photos were at 3200ISO. If I did these at 3200 some of the frames would be solid white. Never compare photos without reading the exposure data. 3200 is 8x more sensitive than 400.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast