Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting an NSR Handguard?

Feedback Score

Cutting an NSR Handguard?

Before I get accused of wanting to ruin a perfectly good NSR, let me say I don't have one yet so please calm down.

When/if (depending on your opinion of the political climate) I can get my hands on a Noveske complete upper, I plan to splurge on the 16" Light Recce w/ Switchblock, but I don't want the extra weight of rails I'm not using. I would love it if they came out with a Light Recce w/ switchblock AND NSR, but they haven't yet, so it looks like my options will be to replace the handguard it comes with with either a 9" NSR or a 13.5" NSR. A 9" NSR obviously means less rail space and a fully exposed switchblock. I'm more concerned with the latter, although I'm still confused as to why you apparently shouldn't leave a gas block exposed... perhaps someone can enlighten me.

In order to use a 13.5" NSR with the switchblock the NSR would need 4 slots cut out of the rail in the right spot. Unfortunately it appears that the "right spot" would fall right in between two of the vents already cut into the rail. Would this compromise its strength? And then there's the issue of the anodizing. Is it as simple as cutting out the section and having the rail Type III anodized again to hard coat the exposed aluminum or would the rest of the rail need to be stripped and re-anodized as well? Would re-anodizing have any unwanted effects on the rail?

Here's a pic of the section of the rail that would need to be removed:

Attachment 15214

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Badger89; 02-02-13 at 18:23. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You didn't tell us why you NEED a switchblock. Unless you'll be going between suppressed and un, you're wasting your money and a perfectly good rail.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I think your problem will be that the rail won't fit over the switchblock to begin with.

Feedback Score
    While not a convenient, open on/off.... the Sryac blocks fit just fine under the NSR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis B View Post
    You didn't tell us why you NEED a switchblock. Unless you'll be going between suppressed and un, you're wasting your money and a perfectly good rail.
    Nobody "needs" a switchblock. I want one because I plan to run the rifle both suppressed and unsuppressed, and I have decided that the switchblock is a feature I want on my rifle because of this. Would it work without it? Sure. I just feel like it will work better with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I think your problem will be that the rail won't fit over the switchblock to begin with.
    I've thought about that, but Noveske manages to put a regular rail with a front sight cut out over it some how, so why couldn't I make the NSR fit if I put a front sight cut out in it myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    While not a convenient, open on/off.... the Sryac blocks fit just fine under the NSR.
    I would prefer a pinned block, and after considering to just build my own upper I decided I'd rather purchase a pre-built Noveske for various reasons. Thanks for the recommendation though. If I planned to run suppressed 100% of the time I think that would be a much better option than the switchblock, but I want the ability to switch back and forth on the fly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    According to Todd K. at Noveske, the rail they currently use for SB uppers has a removable section. I am sure if they could get the NSR to work they'd be doing it. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48514

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Perhaps he could insert the SB into the rail before either component is installed onto the gun. Slide both components over the barrel at the same time and install the SB through the holes. He could even rotate the NSR around to access everything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Famine View Post
    Perhaps he could insert the SB into the rail before either component is installed onto the gun. Slide both components over the barrel at the same time and install the SB through the holes. He could even rotate the NSR around to access everything.

^^^^^This^^^^^

is about the only way I can think that he could do it w/o doing more harm than good.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    I've got a bad feeling about this.......

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Cutting an NSR Handguard?

Quote Originally Posted by Famine View Post
    Installing the sb pin through the nsr holes? Sounds like trouble.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast