Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS 16" Rifle-length gas system

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

LMT MWS 16" Rifle-length gas system

I don't know if this counts as a custom build but here goes anyways.

Started its life as a LMT MWS and I installed a new receiver extension, safety, trigger, grip, trigger guard, end plate. I tapped the rear take down pin hole with a set screw, stippled some panels, and then bought an 18" LMT 5R SS barrel which I had ADCO cut/crown/rethread to 16".

I've only shot Federal 168gr GMM through it and it has exceeded my expectations. Super soft (for a .308) and shoots like a laser (sub 3/4 moa 10 shot group with 168gr Federal GMM).

Specs:
    LMT MWS
    16" 5R SS Barrel
    KAC Sights
    KAC Ambi Safety
    Geissele SSA-E
    Nightforce 2.5-10x24 (mildot)

Last edited by buckjay; 01-26-13 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Well that answers my question in the AR pic thread...

I'm glad to know the rifle length 16" is working for you. I don't mind mine as is but it couldn't hurt to smooth it out a little. Also, I have been seeing the same accuracy out of mine.

I'm nuts over mine. Borderline obsession. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. I truly never thought I would get so amped over a firearm

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Thanks! Sorry, didn't see your question.

I absolutely love it. I was worried I'd still want a SR-25 but after shooting it I'm stoked with it.

I'm sure it can shoot even better (I've seen some sub half moa groups) so I look forward to putting it through its paces (today was first day shooting the 5R SS barrel).

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The question is, are you getting a SOCOM for it?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
    The question is, are you getting a SOCOM for it?
    I'm on a wait list for the 7.62 MINI SOCOM.
    Last edited by buckjay; 01-26-13 at 21:20.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckjay View Post
    Awesome.

Looks like a great setup.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Thanks! Sorry, didn't see your question.

No worries I posted it about a minute before I found this thread.

I absolutely love it. I was worried I'd still want a SR-25 but after shooting it I'm stoked with it.

Yeah I mean the SR25s will always have a certain draw to them. I have a second barrel, a 16" CL that's been lightened by ADCO. That set up gets the weight down by almost a half pound. I can slap a T1 on there with the LW CL barrel and have a nice battle rifle.

I'm sure it can shoot even better (I've seen some sub half moa groups) so I look forward to putting it through its paces (today was first day shooting the 5R SS barrel).

So far I have one 10rd group that's sub MOA. I know the rifle can do better, I just need to get there myself. I recently acquired my 5R SS barrel too. I have been shooting through my stock of 175GMM, I hear the 168GMM is the factory round these guns like. We'll see.
    Haha, so am I!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are they using the 5r barrels for the mws? When i contacted them about a stainless for the mrp they said they did a run of 5r barrels, but the rest were standard rifled barrels.

Edit: nevermind checked the website 5r for mws not mrp.
    Last edited by jstone; 01-27-13 at 03:22.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Buckjay you have some of the best thought out rifles I have seen.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Best MWS build I have seen to date Buckjay. Looks very well thought out and damn near perfect. I've been struggling with where my MWS fits in with my other .308 gas guns... This has helped give me an idea of perfection for me. Chop and maybe even lighten an 18" 5R down to 16", Battle Comp or SF brake, NF 1-4X or MK6 1-6X, KAC offset BUIS, STR and call it done.

It should make a much softer shooting Battle Rifle, and IMHO it will really benefit from the longer gas length. Has anyone messed around with the A5 on their MWS? I'm wondering if it would shoot as soft as it does with a PRS, but save the weight that kills the PRS for anything other than a precision setup.

Bleaman, it sounds like you have noticed an appreciable difference since re-profiling your MWS barrel? How is the balance of the rifle? Any pics? Where are you shooting these days?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast