Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My take on Glock's

Feedback Score

My take on Glock's

Gents

I see the old sand test I was part of years ago has stirred up a hornet's nest over on another forum - I tried to post this thread there but found out I was banned - not sure why that would be so I decided to post this here - in addition it answers several questions I get in nearly every class about Glocks- here goes;

1) IMO the Glock 19 and 17 are the best Glock's made - both are excellent pistols - I own, use, and recommend both

2) I do not recommend the G22, G23, or G21 - based on my experience these pistols have problems (breakage, won't function with rail mounted lights, etc.) and I feel there are better choices in 40 and 45

3) Glocks as a rule are not as accurate as many other service pistols - partly due to the enlarged chamber - this can be fixed with aftermarket barrels

4) I recommend 3 things for a Glock 19 or 17; good sights (Heinie, Novak, 10-8and Warren are my current favorites) , a buttplug to keep debris out of the trigger mech (cheap insurance), and my mag catch made by Tangodown. Optional but highly recommended is frame texturing by Dave Bowie (I like the finger grooves removed also)

5) They are incredibly forgiving in maintenance and lubrication - amazing

6) Incredibly simple to operate - 2 levers/buttons and 1 is optional

7) Always remember the golden rule with a Glock; keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are ready to shoot - if you don't adhere to this expect a loud noise at some point

Bottom line Glocks in 9mm are excellent pistols - they are not my first choice in other calibers however - the S&W M&P has been called a product improved Glock ; this may be true but the verdict is still out as the M&P is a relatively new handgun vs millions of Glock's in service (mostly in 9mm I might add) and S&W has a spotty record in terms of autoloading pistols - time will tell

hope this helps

Larry Vickers

www.vickerstactical.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    We always welcome your insight and posts. Thanks for taking the time to post this here.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You are talking about Steve's test Larry?

Which site are you banned on? I'll make sure not to show up there anymore...

Does it start with an "M19..." by any chance? Me too. Don't sweat it.

Feedback Score
    thanks for the post Larry!
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    You are talking about Steve's test Larry?

Which site are you banned on? I'll make sure not to show up there anymore...

Does it start with an "M19..." by any chance? Me too. Don't sweat it.

More than likely it is Glock Talk....

And given the MPC (moron per capita) rate I mentioned in the other thread, a banning from there is probably a happy thing.

Feedback Score
    The fact the Larry was banned over there is what they call a clue.

Any forum that would ban a well know professional is suspect. It is a testement to what they DON'T know.

I'm a Glock fan and I own more of them then anything else, but that forum would be the LAST place I'd look for info.

Matt

Feedback Score
    My own experience with Glocks mirror Larry's a great deal. I have had the good fortune (typical for me ) to aquire two G19's and one G17 with serious performance problems, however, I've have had so many good examples of both models that I still consider them a 'top shelf' handgun and do not fault anyone who chooses to carry one. But my biggest problem is their grip angle. If I shoot nothing but Glocks I can adapt and do just fine, but I have trouble when I switch to anything else and back. And the Glock trigger is not the most accurate for myself. I have had better luck with Sig's and HK's and am more accurate with their DA first shots than I am with the Glock's,(I've trained with them a lot) so I turned away from the Glock many years ago and don't miss it THAT much, although I do admit to missing the ruggedness somewhat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone that has met/trained with me knows that I'm a huge fan of the Smith M&P. However, a handful of people know that I got my start with Glocks and still carry a 26 as a backup at work. In my book, the Glock is a solid performer. However after breaking two trigger springs on a 19 in the span of 6 months, I dont view the pistol as being the "perfection" than Gaston claims it is.

Feedback Score
    Just curious, but what problems does mounting a light on a Glock cause exactly? Does the dust cover have trouble supporting it resulting in guide rod interference or something?

Also, have you heard anything about Glock changing their chamber dimensions recently? I hate to reference Glock Talk, but there was a topic there awhile back where members with 2007 production Glocks were posting pictures of their barrels. One picture showed a G23 barrel next to a P229 barrel (as far as I recall), and the Glock appeared to have even more chamber support than the Sig.

I know the 357 Glocks always had more chamber support, but the replies and pictures on Glock Talk make it appear as though Glock has recently started using a beefier chamber across the line.
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by olds442tyguy View Post
    Just curious, but what problems does mounting a light on a Glock cause exactly? Does the dust cover have trouble supporting it or something?
    The .40 caliber Glocks in particular have had problems with excessive frame flex when Surefire X series lights are mounted on them, causing feeding issues.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast