Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 vs Shotgun inside a residence?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

AR-15 vs Shotgun inside a residence?

My Dept. is finally getting me authorized on the patrol rifle this month. I love the AR platform and have used it for several years.

That said, I think I might still grab the 870 when clearing a house. On a barricaded gunman, or similar run where we are working a perimeter the rifle will come out no question, but inside a house I think the buckshot might still be a better option.

PLEASE NOTE: My dept ONLY authorizes Federal TRU 55gr hollowpoints in our rifles. We took a next to perfect 25yrd headshot with this round last winter and it just followed the outside of his skull and exited behind his ear. He is still walking around today. Our administration will not change our load, at least not anytime soon.

Opinions Please.

Feedback Score
    When I was a rookie we had a hostage standoff. At the time, we only had six rifles and they were all assigned to other officers. We also didn't have a SWAT team and had to rely on other agencies. I was stationed outside the house with a shotgun.

We got everyone out except for one hostage and the situation turned to shit. The closest SWAT officer was still 15 minutes away. Next thing I knew, I was doing a forced entry into the house and I was on point. I came around the corner and the suspect was standing behind the hostage with a long kitchen knife. He had it up in the air like he was going to plunge it into her. I had a clear shot for just a moment but didn't take it because I realized I was armed with the wrong weapon and could not garantee the hostage would not be hit. Before I transitioned to my handgun, the suspect hid behind the hostage and I no longer had the shot. Luckily we were able to get close enough to the suspect, rushed him and freed the hostage. The only injuries were to the suspect but two of us had to go through six months of testing due to blood exposure from the suspect.

We learned a lot from that call and we now have rifles for everyone who goes through the training and we have our own SWAT team. We also train for those situations now where our previous training was clearly lacking. Knowing what I know now, I would have never entered the house with a shotgun and I wouldn't have taken the risks that we took on that night. I feel confident that had I been armed with a rifle or even just my handgun, I would have been able to take the shot when it presented itself and minimised the risk both to the hostage and to the officers who were on the call with me.

I still carry a shotgun on duty because I do feel there are situations where the shotgun is still very relevant. An officer in a neighboring department is their teams shotgun man and he refuses to carry anything else. Based on my experience through, I probably will not be doing any building clearing with anything but a rifle or handgun.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I appreciate the comments and experience. The reason I am bringing this topic up is the lack of faith I have in my issued rifle ammunition.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    We took a next to perfect 25yrd headshot with this round last winter and it just followed the outside of his skull and exited behind his ear. He is still walking around today. Our administration will not change our load, at least not anytime soon.
    a near perfect never cuts it. OCCULAR CAVITY IS ALL THAT COUNTS IN HEAD SHOTS.

Depending on that situation the officer, would have had to perform a slug select drill if it needed in a hostage rescue shot/or the like(time consuming).

Was the head shot required?

and then again multiply press's of the trigger area good thing.

was the threat stopped by that single head shot?

There is nothing wrong with carrying a both in the patrol vehicle then deciding which one to take if time permits

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Good to see you Opie! As with anything, pick the right tool for the right job. The ammo you have to use for the AR sucks for sure, but the weapon is still capable of a very precise shot (and high capacity mags).

Pat Rogers tells a story in his classes about a guy taking a shotgun slug to the chest and running down the hall. There is no magic bullet (as you know).

C4

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think for your situation, in law enforcement, I'd take a carbine, specifically because of the ability to make more precise shots.

As a civillian though, I keep my 870 for a house gun. I'm not going to be making shots agains a hostage holder.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    I think for your situation, in law enforcement, I'd take a carbine, specifically because of the ability to make more precise shots.

As a civillian though, I keep my 870 for a house gun. I'm not going to be making shots agains a hostage holder.
    I kind of feel that there is a chance for a Civy to have to have to take a hostage shot. I have two small children and a wife. If someone came in with the intent of kidnapping one of my children and was able to grab them before I could get there then I would have to take the shot.

C4

Feedback Score
    The shotgun is a viable tool, to be sure. That said, knowingly going into harm's way, I would opt for the platform that allows me to put the most lead down range as fast and accurately as possible. All things being equal, that is the AR platform. There is no such thing as a magic bullet, or buckshot, so we are safer in assuming that the threat will keep coming after the first shot (or fifth, or fifteenth), than a one shot stop.

To be clear, I am not a door-kicker, though I hope my employment with the local Sheriff's Office will lead to that, I have been studying these arguments for a while now. There are applications for all tools, which is why they exist. However, I believe that the AR platform is a bit more widely applicable.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    I kind of feel that there is a chance for a Civy to have to have to take a hostage shot. I have two small children and a wife. If someone came in with the intent of kidnapping one of my children and was able to grab them before I could get there then I would have to take the shot.

C4

I agree Grant, but I'm a bachelor.....the only one that's going to be in the house is me.......if I had a wife and kids I'd probably use a carbine of some kind.

I still feel secure with 2 3/4" #1 buck and 00.......

In Opie's situation, I'd definitely opt for the carbine option.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    I agree Grant, but I'm a bachelor.....the only one that's going to be in the house is me.......if I had a wife and kids I'd probably use a carbine of some kind.

I still feel secure with 2 3/4" #1 buck and 00.......

In Opie's situation, I'd definitely opt for the carbine option.

Bachelor??? What's that? Is that when you can do whatever you want and no one rides your ass for not taking the trash out??

C4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast