Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6920 Wedge?

Feedback Score

6920 Wedge?

Hi guys,

I just disassembled my 6920 for the first time and cleaned it. Upon reassembly, I found the upper and lower receivers fit more "loose" than before I took it apart and cleaned it. Is this normal?

The rear takedown pin was pretty tight before taking the rifle apart and now it is easier to push out. I just want to make sure this is normal as I have absolutely no AR15 experiance.

Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It's fine, perfectly normal.

Do NOT put one of those red rubber "accurizer" rubber wedges in the receiver to make it tighter.

This is a social rifle, not a Camp Perry rifle.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Roger that!

I am so unfamiliar with the AR that I seem to be noticing each little detail one by one.

I have disassembled and reassembled the rifle about 15 times tonight/ this morning, and notice new cosmetic details each time.

Thanks for letting me know it's normal Templar.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    No worries, you got a great carbine, definitely started off right.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    It's fine, perfectly normal.

Do NOT put one of those red rubber "accurizer" rubber wedges in the receiver to make it tighter.

This is a social rifle, not a Camp Perry rifle.

So whats wrong about adding an 'accurizer' rubber wedge in the receiver? It does take that notchy loose feeling out between the upper and lower?

Not sure what you mean by social rifle, not a Camp Perry rifle?

Feedback Score
    I had one of those "accuwedges" in an old pre ban Colt HBAR A2 Slabside and over many thousands of rounds it never did anything bad, but never really anything good either except for making the rifle feel tight and solid. I actually enjoyed the feel of the rifle with it in there. I haven't used them in any other rifle and got rid of it when I sold that rifle. But I can't really see any real harm with it, but then again I'm no expert. Has anyone seen these dislodge or breakdown to cause any stoppages?
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goretro77 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by social rifle, not a Camp Perry rifle?
    I think he means that for the intended usage there shouldn't be a problem without it. Kind of like why fix something that isn't broken??

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-08-17 at 22:20.

Feedback Score
    I cannot say I see an accuracy improvement but I will say that I immediately noticed that the uppers and lower does not have that 'play'. I was fortunate that my examples of both a Colt Sporter Match HBAR (model 6601), the Colt LE6920 and Ruger SR556 I had minimal play in these 3 firearms and this device still took that small play out of each and tightened the feel.

I do not see this piece moving out of position unless it was installed wrong. I've had mine for many years now and shot many rounds but I do keep tabs on it and inspect it whenever I open the rifle up for maintenance. YMMV
    Last edited by goretro77; 12-17-09 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I think one concern would be wearing out the rear pin holes in the lower and the upper's lug. With the wedge, there's a force pushing up on the upper when you slide the pin in and out. Over time, this point will oval and could develope issues with the BCG sliding into the buffer tube.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast