Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Army says no more polymer mags

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Big Army says no more polymer mags

https://acc.dau.mil/CommunityBrowser...851&lang=en-US

Benefit/Value

Issue: TACOM has become aware of units ordering 30 rd. commercial (i.e. polymer, etc.) magazines for their M4/M16 family of weapons. The M4/M16 Army authorized magazines are the following: NSN 1005-00-561-7200 (improved magazine) and NSN 1005-00-921-5004 (older magazine; use until exhaustion).

Rest of the story at the link. Don't think many people will listen to this until its strictly enforced, there's a lot of us using PMAGS in the army. Ill keep using them and my TangoDown mags until I'm forced to stop.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step...and a lot of bitching.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I thought black pmags had an NSN and were a approved for unit procurement? Is this a reversal decision?

Bravo Company has an NSN listed: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpu...k%20window.htm

ETA: Oh, I see. There are two acceptable mags for the Army. Pmags may have an NSN but the are just not approved by the Army, correct?
    Last edited by Eric D.; 05-04-12 at 20:40.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They do have a NSN, and a bunch of units have bought and issued them. TACOM is now putting out that the only mags listed as authorized in the -10 are the Army issued ones.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step...and a lot of bitching.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kest_01 View Post
    https://acc.dau.mil/CommunityBrowser...851&lang=en-US

The M4/M16 Army authorized magazines are the following: NSN 1005-00-561-7200 (improved magazine) and NSN 1005-00-921-5004 (older magazine; use until exhaustion).

So what are these improved mags???
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rickp View Post
    So what are these improved mags???
    They're just the tan follower mags.

http://peosoldier.armylive.dodlive.m...-new-magazine/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The Army has enough problems as it is. I don't understand why the Army would limit Soldiers from using the best equipment intentionally.
    Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    There are too many polymer magazines on the market and there are a lot of soldiers that only hear "polymer is better" and buy the cheapest out there. Tapco, Bulgarian, TD, PMAG, Lancer etc. Which one works and works best for combat use? Even here on this site, many prefer one over another. While companies claim that their product is "combat ready" that is a marketing term, not reality. By saying NO to polymer mags, that should make the USGI mag, which has worked since the beginning, the standard in the field. This is the first time in history that there has been so many accessories availiable for a fielded combat weapon. Sights, grips, foreends, magazines...etc and a way to put them in the hands of the troops. Many hang stuff on their weapon for no other reason to be like that other guy, so that must be better. Even in a rifle squad, damn near every rifle is outfitted different. Some have quality parts, some are complete crap. The Army is trying to to stop the flow of non standardized/tested magazines from getting into the hands of our Soldiers. Hope it works.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I think this is great news. Plain old GI mags work great. I'm so sick and tired of seeing pmag related stoppages and watching people look for issues with the gun instead of shitcanning their stupid plastic mags. I haven't messed with the ARC mags because for me they aren't a solution to a problem. My green and tan follower mags are all stellar performers.

This is actually a good move.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Typical dumb-assed big army decision.

Go for uniformity over function.

Just like trying to develop their own polymer mag even though the Pmag was already avalible.

As if the USGI mags don't have their fair share of problems.

Why don't they just do an IW type test of magazines and see which ones come out on top rather then forcing adherence to outdated requirements?

Only a matter of time until they start fining soldiers for using non-issued items on their guns and gear. That'll be a brilliant move of stupidity too. Just like this one.

Whatever.
    Last edited by GrumpyM4; 05-05-12 at 02:05.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    PMAGs actually failed Army testing several years ago for the following reasons

1) rough handling at -60F causes damage/cracks in feed lip
    2) immersion in MIL-L-46000 Lubricant Semi-Fluid Automatic Weapons - LAW and 804-01-284-3982; DEET Insect Repellent causes stress crazing/cracking

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast