Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith/Lipsey's ultimate carry J-frame

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Careful loading titegroup in revolver loads for defense. I shot an IDPA match with my 642, belly band holster and speed strips in pocket. Shot it like I carry it, basketball shorts and tshirt. After a fast cylinder of 5 shots and titegroup that cylinder was getting so hot it made it hard to flip it out and do reloads. I would do Win 244 or sport pistol for similar load weights but cooler running temps.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Placed an order for the blued 38 Special version today through Scheels, unknown ETA. Haven’t been this excited about a J Frame in a long time. Ordering a Tulster Rath in whiskey color and an Apex trigger kit as well.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Those of you ordering the 32, where are you finding ammo?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...32-hr-mag-ammo

They start at a little over $1 a ROUND. Not for me.

I believe a lot of the .32 mag fans reload their ammo. That's the only way to keep the cost down. But with the price of primer and powder today, I don't know how much you can save.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Those of you ordering the 32, where are you finding ammo?
    Buying lead bullets I reload it for under $10 per 50. That's with current primer pricing.

The least expensive ammo to use for practice in a .327 or .32 mag gun if you don't reload is .32 S&W Long.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Buying lead bullets I reload it for under $10 per 50. That's with current primer pricing.

The least expensive ammo to use for practice in a .327 or .32 mag gun if you don't reload is .32 S&W Long.
    Gotcha, I should've invested in reloading years ago when it was economical and practical to do so.

I'll stick with the 442 for now as at least I can find 38 at most LGS.

This Ultimate 442 has reignited my love affair with wheel guns, so as I wait for my 442 to be delivered, I ordered an LCR22 and dusted off my old 642-1 to start dryfiring with.

Feedback Score
    Update to my earlier Post 18.
    I'm on a "wish list" with one of my local dealers which is associated with Lipsey's.
    Technically, it's not an order, hence no deposit required.
    Since the internal FFL-to-Lipsey's website says my desired 432UC (aka #SM14035) is allocated, the FFL is unable to presently place an order but can put my desired product on a "wish list". If Lipsey's does tell my FFL it can ship the gun to my FFL, then my FFL can call me, asking me if I still want it, and go through with the order, probably asking me for a deposit at that time.
    My FFL said it may not even or ever get a call from Lipsey's and there's no further info or intel as to if/when such 432UC will be available, whether at the end of Feb. '24 or even a year later.

We all shall see. I did get an email from Lipsey's telling me to "order" one through my FFL, however, which gives me hope.
    Despite this hope, I went ahead and already ordered and took delivery of a Ruger LCRX .327 Fed and already ordered and received a couple of orders of ammo in .32S&WLong; .32H&RMag; and .327FedMag.
    (I don't reload; no equipment; no knowledge how; little desire to start up a reloading operation at this point in my life, although I could change my mind about this someday.)

I asked myself why am I getting into this .32 caliber revolver stuff, but after reading and thinking about it, I'm taking a chance on liking the idea even though I've already got ~eight .38 or .357/.38 revolvers. I suppose if I was really extravagant, I'd also order and try to get a 442UC, too, but I stopped myself at that point

Somebody on here asked where to get ammo. I'll say shop the various online retailers and it's out there. Just be aware these Lipsey's Smith & Wesson revolvers are .32 H&R Magnum guns, which won't be able to chamber a .327 Federal Magnum cartridge as the Ruger LCR can do.

Good luck to all and I'm glad to see such interest in revolvers, yet I'm still mainly a 9mm Glock guy.

Feedback Score
    Reloading start up costs:

Have a small bench. Mine is wood, about 24 in X 50 in. In the house.

Get a Lee Turret Press kit. $275. Comes with a great manual with loading information and will start you off from knowing nothing. Comes with one set of dies of your choice.

Buy .32 mag cases from Starline or a vendor. $110 for 500.

Buy 90 - 100 gr coated lead bullets. $100 will get you 1k shipped.

A 1lb can of powder could probably be found locally for $35 or less.

1k primers can be found locally for $75-100.

You can order primers & powder of course, but you'll pay more in shipping/hazmat shipping. If you do this order them together.

That's it you're in buisness. About $650.

You can load those cases several dozen times. That can of powder will last 2k-2500 rds.

Bullets .08, powder .02, primer .09. So you'll be at .19 cents a shot or $9.50 /50 rds. It will take an hour to load 50 at first but eventually you'll be able to load 150 per hour on this simple press.

Adding each cartridge (you want to start loading .38 or whatever) means another set of dies and die plate $75. Then you just need cases & bullets for those additional cartridges. They swap out literally in seconds and you're loading something else.

Just thought I'd give y'all the quick scoop on starting reloading with current prices.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-03-24 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    Careful loading titegroup in revolver loads for defense. I shot an IDPA match with my 642, belly band holster and speed strips in pocket. Shot it like I carry it, basketball shorts and tshirt. After a fast cylinder of 5 shots and titegroup that cylinder was getting so hot it made it hard to flip it out and do reloads. I would do Win 244 or sport pistol for similar load weights but cooler running temps.
    I totally get what you're saying but from a defensive standpoint l'm betting you won't even notice that warm cylinder if you're performing a reload and your life is on the line.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    I've banished TG because of this. I shot a pin match relay one hot day that required a reload. Six rounds of 357 mag with a 173 gr Keith and TG. By the time I went through the sixth round the gun felt strange in my hand, it just didn't fit my hand at all anymore. I looked down at my 686 and the Hogue grips were misshapen, the nylon backer that the rubber was attached to had softened. Since I lost the relay anyway I just went home. I pulled the remaining ammo down and ordered a wooden Hogue grip that the 686 wears to this day. Yes, TG gets very hot!
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast