Quote Originally Posted by maindish View Post
I had taken the time to compile, calculate, and graph some key points that I thought were important to the discussion (data from FBI Uniform Crime Report) with a letter. I sent it to everyone on the Public Safety Committee that is going to be drafting the final bill. So far, I'm very disappointed that not one DFLer has acknowledged receipt, while a few of the GOP reps have.

I recruited friends and coworkers to write as well, and they have only received GOP responses.
In an issue like this, it's volume that counts, not content. I see people writing long, passionate emails and letters to their representatives, well reasoned, persuasive arguments with graphs and charts. It might make us feel better to express our thoughts in written form, but I guarantee that nobody is reading them. But they are tallying up "For" and "Against".

None of us are going to persuade these people based on any rational argument we try to make on the issues. What will persuade them is the number of people whom they see will likely vote against them in their next election. They don't care what you think. They care how you will vote.