Thread: 10mm or 40 S&W ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Wow. No need to a ****ing asshole about it. There's a reason I began my sentence with "I suspect". Not to mention I do my own backyard testing with wetpack and have posted the results right here if you bothered to look. At this point you're not even bothering to have a reasonable discussion, now you are just trolling.
    Dude, it is like a classic 80's football pile on... everyone wants to tell me the same thing. However, all of those people who want to pile on are repeating the same secondhand information. I'm not looking for conjecture. I'm looking for an expert like DocGKR to provide photos or you tube video of 10% gel or Sim-test media showing the effects of a 10mm Gold Dot traveling at 1400 fps.

I'm being an ass because everyone wants to tell me what they think will happen. I want to see what does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Nobody denies the power and terminal effects of the 10 mm, but your assessment is not correct, and as stated before for a combat caliber there are other issues involved.
    Sure they are. Several have tried to say that a factory 180 grain 40 S&W is about as good as it gets, and that a "Hot" 10mm load that has explosive expansion will likely under perform.

I am looking for proof. That is why I keep asking for DocGKR, or anyone else for that matter, to test these Underwood / Gold Dot loads in 10% gel or Sim-test media. I want to see the recovered slugs, and I want to see the gel blocks so that I can say; "Oh, I guess the 10mm is a waste of time..." or say "Hell ya, now thats a frick'n hole, my fist would fit in there!!".

Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Spyder View Post

Dude, it is like a classic 80's football pile on... everyone wants to tell me the same thing. However, all of those people who want to pile on are repeating the same secondhand information. I'm not looking for conjecture. I'm looking for an expert like DocGKR to provide photos or you tube video of 10% gel or Sim-test media showing the effects of a 10mm Gold Dot traveling at 1400 fps.

I'm being an ass because everyone wants to tell me what they think will happen. I want to see what does happen.

Sure they are. Several have tried to say that a factory 180 grain 40 S&W is about as good as it gets, and that a "Hot" 10mm load that has explosive expansion will likely under perform.

I am looking for proof. That is why I keep asking for DocGKR, or anyone else for that matter, to test these Underwood / Gold Dot loads in 10% gel or Sim-test media. I want to see the recovered slugs, and I want to see the gel blocks so that I can say; "Oh, I guess the 10mm is a waste of time..." or say "Hell ya, now thats a frick'n hole, my fist would fit in there!!".

You seem to think you have a silver bullet. Thats fine as long as you can shoot it well. A false perception that you're carrying a death ray may just well give you the confidence you need to win in a gun fight. The ballisitcs certainly won't. Personally I think the 10mm if your going to carry it for personal defense would be better when loaded with a 180 or 200 grain bullet at a moderate velocity of 1000 to 1100 fps with a bullet designed for that velocity.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    All I know from having to shoot critters in the line of duty is it matters a lot more where you hit them than what you hit them with. I bet its the same for human attackers as well.
    Pat
    I am sure this is something we all agree on. Shot placement is very important. However, all things being equal I would rather make that shot with the largest (ie most powerful) cartridge I possibly can.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    You seem to think you have a silver bullet. Thats fine as long as you can shoot it well. A false perception that you're carrying a death ray may just well give you the confidence you need to win in a gun fight. The ballistics certainly won't. Personally I think the 10mm if your going to carry it for personal defense would be better when loaded with a 180 or 200 grain bullet at a moderate velocity of 1000 to 1100 fps with a bullet designed for that velocity.
    Pat
    I understand it is not a "Silver Bullet", nor is it a "Death Ray" or a "Phazer". Come on, really? We are talking about the 10mm not the .44 Mag, .460 or even the 500 Mag. Try to think of it like this. The 9mm is a proven killer of men. So why do so many folks carry the 9mm +P or even 9mm +P+? For me it seems simple, they want a more powerful cartridge. There are plenty of 10mm "Fed Lite" cartridges out there and now there are a few full power 10mm cartridges. To be honest I would think the Underwood offerings are 10mm +P.

Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You really arent in any position to tell anyone to "try to think".

Do yourself a favor stop posting, and start reading. Start with this:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Read it several times, dont skim.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    Start with this:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Read it several times, dont skim.

Thank you Fail-Safe, I will.

Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Spyder View Post

You want the ammo tested, put up the cash. Money for the ammo, gelatin, and the time to make it and shoot it. Afterall a demanding person as yourself should have bo problem with paying.

And no, you arent that good of a photographer. Mediocre, sure. I dont want to think about what that means about your fulltime gig. Emergency Medical Troll is it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    And no, you arent that good of a photographer. Mediocre, sure. I dont want to think about what that means about your fulltime gig. Emergency Medical Troll is it?
    Do you feel better now that you got that off your chest? Good Grief.
    Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    And this thread is being allowed to continue because....?
    Last edited by BuckskinJoe; 08-23-12 at 15:32.
    That's the life of an outlaw...tough, ain't it.--Sam Elliot as Conagher