I'll save you one headache right now: Don't attach a 2-3 rifle mag pouch to your pants belt. I have watched all manner of people try to make a go of this in all manner of configurations and every single one of them is entirely unsat. I have seen some that can make it less unsat than others, but it is totally counter-productive in all cases that I HAVE SEEN (in caps there because sure as shit someone will come along and tell me that they've done it successfully for years and bully for them).

The most I have attached to a pants belt is two rifle magazines in kydex pouches from Ready Tactical. SIZE THEM TO FIT YOUR BELT, either 1.5" or 1.75", and you'll be good to go.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a chest rig to back-feed these pouches. "train as you fight" and "not looking tacticool" are admirable theories but they come second to not hindering yourself in training, and that comes second to not hindering the whole rest of the class. The majority of classes, however, will be fine with two carbine and one pistol mag on the belt, plus one in each gun.

I love the Taco, mentioned above, but as of now it's a MOLLE-only thing and it doesn't sound like you want to gt into a battle belt setup if you're unwilling to get into a chest rig.