Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Need mount for MRO - Bobro vs Scalarworks vs ADM

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Not trying to push what worked for me on you. I just ask. In the end it is what works best for you is all that matters. If you want to put all your faith in videos I'll be happy to send you a link showing where one of the most respected shooters around runs his.
    I would be interested in seeing that video, despite not owning an MRO anymore.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I run most of my dot/reflex sights right above the magwell on an AR, primarily as I find it's better balanced that way.

Feedback Score
    Not trying to push what worked for me on you. I just ask. In the end it is what works best for you is all that matters. If you want to put all your faith in videos I'll be happy to send you a link showing where one of the most respected shooters around runs his.
    Not really sure what to say to that...not sure where the pushing part came from, or faith in video nonsense. You asked me a question, and I answered. I don't care where anyone else has their optic, the video I posted was merely indicating some of the same logic points and observations I had.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So I was just looking at my shipping confirmation from Scalarworks and noticed that they are based in New Jersey. Isn't building anything that is even tangentially connected to a firearm in NJ cause for summary execution?

Also, bonus points, I now know why it costs $149. They have to cover the overhead of driving to a free state when they shoot the devices they are developing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunf1ghter View Post
    So I was just looking at my shipping confirmation from Scalarworks and noticed that they are based in New Jersey. Isn't building anything that is even tangentially connected to a firearm in NJ cause for summary execution?

Also, bonus points, I now know why it costs $149. They have to cover the overhead of driving to a free state when they shoot the devices they are developing.

lol. Not to mention our astronomical annual pin/weld budget!
    SCALARWORKS - SHOOTER DRIVEN®
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scalarworks.com / 1-844-556-1913 (900-1700 EST)

Feedback Score
    Failing to see anything there that would make that mount even on the same level as a Bobro, not to mention with a 50% price increase.

This is a comparison thread afterall. I love to shave weight as much as anyone (within reason) but I just don't get it.

Hell thats KAC brand pricing without KAC reputation or innovation.

If I was a betting man, based on how little material is there I don't think it would fare as well as some other proven designs like GDI & Bobro. I know its not a simplistic, linear comparison, 85% increase in general strength with over a 100% reduction in material doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to figure out. Looking forward to non bias testing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus Pilum View Post
    Failing to see anything there that would make that mount even on the same level as a Bobro, not to mention with a 50% price increase.

This is a comparison thread afterall. I love to shave weight as much as anyone (within reason) but I just don't get it.

If I was a betting man, based on how little material is there I don't think it would fare as well as some other proven designs like GDI & Bobro. I know its not a simplistic, linear comparison, 85% increase in general strength with over a 100% reduction in material doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to figure out. Looking forward to non bias testing.
    The primary reason I ordered it is to try out their knob/ratchet set up. I agree that 2 ounces on an AR is nothing. Plus most places that I normally purchase from were sold out on the Bobro. .

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus Pilum View Post

I have not seen either mount in real life so take this for what its worth.

Aside from the 7075 vs 6061 material difference, I noticed that the legs of the LDM mounts are really wide throughout the design. That means it should resist bending about both axes better than something with all of its material in the middle.

I am looking at the Bobro as a single I-beam design and the LDM as something similar to a "box" design.... just thinking out loud. I like the "efficiency" of the LDM design. I like the Bobro lever.

All that said, the Bobro does look like it could take a beating and I would hate to bet against it in a loads test. Someone just needs to hang some weights off an MRO with each mount and measure the deflection. Some guys here work at labs, probably knock that testing out during lunch!

Edit: I assume the Bobro is also hallow and a box design as well. In that regard the LDM is still has the width advantage to resist lateral bending.

And again, not defending a purchase, tried to buy either and they were out of stock.
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 03-17-16 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    If you need to have your feelings validated by someone else, have at it. All that matters is precise hits on target before the target gets precise hits on you. Anything else is just semantics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Okay, so I ordered the Scalar mount in full co-witness on Tuesday and it showed up today. Very fast and courteous shipping. There was a note in the package indicating that they owe me some swag and would drop me some at some point down the line.

My initial impression of this mount are mostly positive. It is exceedingly well machined and appears to be quite robust. Once you rotate the knob till it grabs the rail you can just keep cranking on it and it will just keep clicking but won't over tighten and damage the rail. It is also totally snug so I don't see any shift during use but obviously won't know that till I run it in.

Disengaging from the rail is noticeably slower than it is with any kind of lever mount. This may or may not be an acceptable trade off for someone who is looking for the tiny weight savings and/or finds that mounting levers get hooked up on things (this was one of the things Giessele specifically mentioned in their not having a lever on their newest mounts, that it was a request from a defense customer not to have levers). I would like to see the knob a little larger/oversized from where it is as I found it noticeably more difficult to engage/disengage when wearing gloves (which I normally do when doing any kind of training).

Other random observations;

• Ships in a pretty box like an Apple product. Personally I don't care about that, would rather save a dollar or two.
    • Screws are shipped in a nice little plastic case... however a couple of them were stuck in the bottom and I had to use a tool to dig them out.
    • Screws don't have locktite. Seriously guys, pre-apply thread sealer to your screws.
    • No wrench for the screws are included. While we all have dozens of cheap hex wrenches it is nice to have the one you need included in the box. I'd certainly take that over swag, stickers, or even a fancy box in the first place.
    • Looks cool. Yup, looks cool. I feel operational while I am handling it. Derp, no I don't... but it looks better than most mounts.
    • Very light.... as in, I thought the box was empty before I opened it.
    • Spendy. Is it worth a full $149? I'm not sure. Personally I think that $129 would be more of a sweet spot on this and of course if you order it in conjunction with an MRO you are arguably getting a much better price on it.

Finally here are a few pics from my install. Pics aren't the greatest but will give you some kind of an idea on this thing.

Last edited by gunf1ghter; 03-17-16 at 15:40.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast