Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I got up, got my Kit and MK18 ready to look for some Taliban....

While here in the Stan, all I can do is read material to prepare. I did just start the book, When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes By Cody Lundin. It is a good book and he sure has a different outlook on the topic.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am working almost every day on remodeling my house. How is that "prepping"? Because I have very little experience doing that. So for the last couple of years I have made it a goal to do as much home repair and home remodel as I can myself. This way I will build more hands on skills other than my total dependence on computer/management work.

Of course I do a lot of the other more typical prepping of beans bullets, and band-aids, too.

So far I have really stretched myself beyond what I am confortale with, but gain a tremendous amount of satisfaction taking my time and doing things much better than standard construction, but a bit less than journeyman craftsman.

- Tore out a funky walkin closet in master bedroom that was not framed properly. Lead to tearing out all the wallboard and carpet, particleboard underlayment too. I rebuilt the closet including proper reinforcement in the rafters. Then I added soundproofing and hung new drywall. I chickened out and hired a a contractor to tape and mud the drywall and lay hardwood floors (gorgeous work).

- Built three garage cabinets with 3/4" plywood and a self-designed cat hutch (compact way to store cat food, eating platform, and elevated sleeping platform. I had never built cabinets before and learned a lot about joints and shelf supports (used Kreg pocket hole tool, routed dados, etc.).

- Laid a 13' x 4.5' porcelain tile hearth in the den, after moving the 350 lb wood stove and 400 lb concrete hearth by myself. I learned why most people do not lay 18" tiles and stick with much lighter 12" tiles! Turned out pretty good. Got help moving the stove back though!

- Have removed all the carpet and vinyl from the kitchen and adjoining den. TIP: Removing particle board underlayment from around the cabinets and cooking island is a PITA! Learned about proper leveling of the subfloor. Found a great local supplier for the select Hickory 2.25" strips and trim and it has been acclimating in my den for a couple of weeks. Have laid half the plywood underlayment and will finish this weekend.

- I have the power nailers and everything to start nailing the strips down later this week. Then lots of sanding and Waterlox finishes.

- TODAY, I finished rebuilding about half of my central air duct work (4" - 10" round) as it was damaged and installed wrong anyway. Learned all about duct work, elbows, hangers, mastic tape, and working in dusty 18" crawl spaces (use a dust mask).

Next year I will install hardwood floors (white oak) in the living room and stairs. And re-roof the house, though that may be contracted out for. Although I roofed houses and apartments in my youth, at 57 yrs old and earning good money it seems silly to work on the roof myself. Still debating with myself.

Overall it is a TON of work. Every project is a new set of codes, procedures, tools, and materials. But I am learning a lot, getting tremendous satisfaction from a job well done, and building up a set of tools to tackle nearly any house job.

I am gaining a lot of knowledge but have not done any project enough times to where I am as speedy as a tradesman. But if worse came to worse and I had to find another job or start a business in a non-computer area, I feel I have much more knowledge and experience than before. I could never earn anywhere near what I do now, but I might be able to eke out a survival income.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Great post. I never even thought about preperation in those terms. I will have to rethink some stuff.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Agreed! Absolutey a great post.

With 48 percent of Americans thinking there's a very strong possibility that we're headed for a great great depression (yes 2 greats), learning as many new skills as you can is pure "prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance" in action! I would fully expect terrorist (and all rogue, axis of evil nations) to try and kick us as hard as they can when we're down too. It will be a huge window of opportunity for them.

Some people will think we're insane to prepare to the degree some of us do. Reminds me of a joke :Cop pulls a guy over and in the process inquires if he has any weapons on him, he says "yes sir, I have a Colt .45 in the glove box, a Glock 23 in a IWB and a Walther PPKS on my ankle." Cops asks " anything else", "yes sir, I have a M4gery and a Benelli in the trunk". Cop says to him " Sir may I ask what you are afraid of", man says "not a god damned thing Sir"!

Doscherm and DaveL..."Stay safe out there"! and "thanks for your service brothers"!
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 06-12-11 at 05:56.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just a Jarhead View Post
    Cop pulls a guy over and in the process inquires if he has any weapons on him, he says "yes sir, I have a Colt .45 in the glove box, a Glock 23 in a IWB and a Walther PPKS on my ankle." Cops asks " anything else", "yes sir, I have a M4gery and a Benelli in the trunk". Cop says to him " Sir may I ask what you are afraid of", man says "not a god damned thing Sir"! [/I]
    I LOVE THAT!!!!!

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently started a running program designed to get my fat ass back in shape. I did this program a couple years ago with respectable results (I was able to run a 5K in slightly over 21 minutes), but I let myself go. Today was day 2 of the 8 week program. After 8 weeks are up I plan to continue running.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I recently started a running program designed to get my fat ass back in shape. I did this program a couple years ago with respectable results (I was able to run a 5K in slightly over 21 minutes), but I let myself go. Today was day 2 of the 8 week program. After 8 weeks are up I plan to continue running.
    Can you shoot me a link or the details please?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just received my PIG plate carrier from SKD. Very excited to finally get my hands on one of these so I can have a PC set up for the house. The catalyst was that it looks like I can use it for work too, so that helped justify the expense. Now of course I need to buy some more pouches to add to it, and maybe the soft armor inserts eventually...

Dave

Feedback Score
    for about a year now, i have been stock piling food, beer, water, my gun collection and accessories is impeccable but guns are useless without ammo so i have been pilling a lot of ammo lately.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Worked out. Bought $500 of ammo.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast