Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primary Weapons FSC556 Flash Surpressor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got one I bought from Brownells. It's weird because I've never seen the same one posted on the forums. It's the same length as an A2 but also has the flash hiding tines. It's made to attach the NT-4 suppressor. I have it mounted on my 11.5 upper and it reduces recoil quite a bit, but when shooting at night, I'm told it has a huge fireball which can't be seen by the shooter.
    We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

-Archilochus

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    There were some night time shooting pics of the FSC 556 somewhere I'll try to dig them up. From what I remember there was a huge fireball compared to other dedicated flash suppressors like the black out or vortex.

What I would really like to see is some video of someone shooting the FSC556 at night.

In terms of muzzle climb control the FSC 556 is awesome. I had it installed on a middy and the rifle felt like it did not move.

I felt more of a push than any thing else which was easy to control with a solid stance. One problem I developed was I became a little sloppy with my stance with this muzzle brake when doing drills at a lower rate of fire.

As the shooter the noise and concussion did not bother me but when I sat back at an indoor range and watched someone else shoot it the concussion and sound was a little annoying. My GF could not stand it at first.

Currently I have the SM 556 variant on my middy and am pretty satisfied with it. It is a little shorter and does not control muzzle climb quite as well as the FSC 556 but is a little shorter overall.

Overall I am pretty happy with these muzzle brake/flash suppressors but from what I remember they suck for suppressing flash.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Velcro View Post
    I am glad that it works better than it looks!

Velcro
    I think it looks cool! The comment I get when people see mine is usually "That looks evil."

That just makes my day when I hear that!

It works very well for double taps, etc. I haven't shot it at night yet, so I can't say anything about the flash suppression. I would buy one again for another build.

Feedback Score
    I've been kinda curious about this brake for awhile. What is it's O/A
    diameter? 22mm, or ??? For looks....I'm OK with it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTHN2LGS View Post
    I think it looks cool! The comment I get when people see mine is usually "That looks evil."
    I've been asked if it doubles as a bottle opener.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    I'm trying the FSC556 out on my newest 3-gun rifle. I haven't really wrung it out yet (only 100 rounds down the tube since finishing the build) but it seems to work so far. It's not as flat as a dedicated muzzle brake, but it doesn't blow as much crud back in my face while shooting prone, either.

-C
    "There is no secret. Except that you have to know what nice work is, and you have to be willing to take the pains to do it." 'The Secret of the Old Master', by Lucian Cary.

The Way of the Multigun

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    I'm trying the FSC556 out on my newest 3-gun rifle. I haven't really wrung it out yet (only 100 rounds down the tube since finishing the build) but it seems to work so far. It's not as flat as a dedicated muzzle brake, but it doesn't blow as much crud back in my face while shooting prone, either.

-C
    Chris,

As you noticed they work great but are really good on longer heavier barrels. They're great for an all use rifle but for a dedicated 3gun rifle I'd recommend a true brake. I'm using the Rolling Thunder on my BCM 16" SS410. I was still getting some muzzle lift with mine so I've milled 3 holes at the top of the brake to make it shoot flatter, I'll see if it worked today/tonight at the NRA Range.
    After handling mine and shooting yours Brett S. bought a BCM 16" SS410 w/13" Troy/VTAC FF tube, Ionbonded BCM BCG and a BCM Gunfighter CH. and will be getting a BCM lower next week...he's hooked!
    I installed a Surefire 556K/212 muzzle brake on his, it's one I had laying around and I bead blasted it. It gives a nice contrast on the upper. I'm certain he'll be happy with the BCM I know I am, great shooting gun.

Later,
    Robb
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velcro View Post
    I am glad that it works better than it looks!

Velcro
    Addax Tactical sells a modified version of the fsc556 that they call the bulldog that I think improves the looks while only sacrificing a little in the flash hiding department (they've got night shoot comparison videos). I've got one and really like it.

Last edited by Lucky Strike; 05-29-10 at 11:45.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I personally don't see the benefit these "combo" brakes/FH provide.

If you need flash suppression for shooting at night or indoors where you could be a in dark room or whatever then get something that does this really well. These combo brakes/fh still produce a huge flash at night.

If you want a brake then get a brake but you are going to deal with the flash even if it has FH tines on it. I wouldn't get a brake to shoot with unless I could mount a can on it, and had the can (unless its just a range gun or the like). There are a lot of brakes out there that work better than the PWS.

I've shot next to people with the PWS, and even a few lanes down it was annoying as hell. They are not friendly to people in close proximity. The only brake Ive been around that has not rocked the people standing around it is the KAC Triple Tap but obviously its way too pricey for most people. Even with that I would not consider one for duty use unless you had a can to go with it. I own 2, and can comfortably shoot right next to people, and its barely worse than an A2 on a 16" gun.

So if its just a range toy then put whatever you want on it. Im just saying I would personally get whatever worked the best for what I want the gun to do since you are dealing with the negatives anyways. If Im going to get a huge flash and blast anyways get something that works better than the PWS. If your goal is flash suppression the A2 is 5 bucks and works pretty good. Otherwise get something like a blackout or smith. When you try to do both you end up with a system like the PWS that still produces a large flash, concussion, and doesn't do anything particularly better than anything else on the market. Its a poor flash suppressor, and there are tons of brakes out there that do a better job. I bought the Triple Tap's as a both a future can mount interface, and so I could get the muzzle rise down WITHOUT blasting the people next to me with a concussive blast every shot. If it blasted the people I wouldn't have bought one. Its very disconcerting when you are shooting in a line, and the people next to you are rocking your skull with every shot because they decided to put a brake on their SBR (or even a long gun).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast