Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt failures

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Amazing thread, gents.

I was browsing the usual manufacturer's websites and noticed that Patriot Ordnance has a roller-cam-pin that I have not seen before. Could this roller cam pin (coupled with a slightly tighter fit) reduce the stress placed on the cam-pin hole in the bolt?
    a shame this kind of thread doesn't happen anymore.

you do realize this thread is 200 years dead and buried right?

i've heard about POF's "advanced" BCGs, but never really investigated.. i'm guessing their cam pin is basically a big bearing? if you can reduce friction between bolt and cam pin, you can reduce erosion of the cam pin/hole (play), which will reduce bolt breakage at the hole, in theory.

bolt breakage at the hole can also be reduced by consistent proper hardening.. the studies ive read about bolt breakage have shown that it takes both play AND uneven tempering to prematurely break a bolt.. but "prematurely" is the key term.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 09-10-09 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Cam Pins

You can buy a chromed cam pin a whole lot cheaper than a roller-gadget. It won't gall like a cheaper, commercial cam pin.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Linky

Here's the link to the POF page that has a pic of the roller cam pin:

http://www.pof-usa.com/slideshow/rollercampin.html

A pic is worth a thousand words.

Sinister, would a Hard chrome cam pin and hard chrome bolt be even better? Also, would a hard chrome bolt reduce the pitting that was spoken about?

And, yes I realize that this thread was a dinosaur, Bkb....I just couldn't help myself. Fountains of knowledge here on this forum, I tell ya!
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 09-10-09 at 21:56.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    You can buy a chromed cam pin a whole lot cheaper than a roller-gadget. It won't gall like a cheaper, commercial cam pin.
    have/do you use them? how long does the chrome last on a cam pin? just a couple magazines starts to furrow out a regular cam pin..

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Sinister, would a Hard chrome cam pin and hard chrome bolt be even better? Also, would a hard chrome bolt reduce the pitting that was spoken about?

And, yes I realize that this thread was a dinosaur, Bkb....I just couldn't help myself. Fountains of knowledge here on this forum, I tell ya!
    i wasn't ripping on you, just dissing on you.

i wish they'd show a shot of just the pin itself.. it looks like the only part that "rolls" is the top, which doesn't seem like its gonna help pin/bolt erosion much or even any.. also, that big ass bearing is gonna keep it from being used in DI carriers.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Chromed Cam Pin

I put one in my National Match rifle when I went from cherry to Distinguished and President's Hundred. I got tired of changing out mil and commercial cam pins as they got all galled up.

bkb00 is right on that the POF roller is on the head and not the body of the pin that cams in the slot. Old school M60 machinegunners had to constantly check the cam area on the operating rod because of the galling. This got me inspecting the pin on M16s/M4s.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I replace my cam pins every 2-3K rounds. Doing this I notice bolt life seems to be a little longer.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    answered my own question.. i have a little-used SDMR with a Y/M chrome BCG

this cam pin has exactly 90 rounds on it

the bolt hole erosion isn't through the chrome yet, but the carrier marks are definately all the way through
    Last edited by bkb0000; 09-10-09 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use the LWRC cam pins. They are indexed and are well heat-treated. Mine look great after beaucoup rounds.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score

The POF roller cam will not work in a DI gas system gas key is in the way.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast