Thread: Survival/general purpose fixed-blade knives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Mora and esee are hard to beat for the money. Mora is making a full tang model now that's pretty sweet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A Mora is a great choice. I forgot them, but they are a steal for their usefulness. A 4 inch Mora would be a good place to start. Either carbon or stainless.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by purple_yota27565 View Post
    Mora and esee are hard to beat for the money. Mora is making a full tang model now that's pretty sweet.
    I was actually looking at the Mora full tang, then I realized I know nothing about knives and made this thread
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I have the ESEE 5 and love it. It's a fantastic bushcraft knife, and built like a tank, but it is also on the heavy side. I only say that because I sometimes leave it home due to it's size, and that may be a factor for you. I've never used Mora knives but will look into them

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When I was a teenager, I thought that the Rambo or 'First Blood' type survival knives were THE knives to have, 'cuz Rambo used them of course. After spending more time camping/hiking with friends, I found that they big fixed blades were just 'heavy'. I also found that I needed a small knife a lot more often than I needed a big knife.
    So, after owning various knives (both fixed blade and folding), I've found that this is what fits most of my needs in the outdoors:
    1. 4" to 5" blade, non serrated.
    2. A decent steel - S30V or something equivalent
    3. G10 scales or whatever is durable
    4. A small guard is nice to have. I'm accident prone. I've used a lanyard hole with 550 cord as well. I tend to drop stuff the higher I am.

I found that fighting style knives don't generally work that well for general use, but a general use knife can probably be used for fighting. I wouldn't know; I'm not a fighter. But, I stick to pretty 'normal/practical' blade profiles (drop or clip point, no tantos etc) with a medium thickness blade. Too thick, and it's sometimes hard to cut with. I also found that it's very useful to have a multitool with me, like a leatherman wave. In summary, a 4" blade + multitool covers most of my outdoor needs.

Feedback Score
    https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Bushlo...=condor+knives
    This is a very nice knife at a good price.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965