Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
Surprising that there is not more official testing by major departments or the FBI that allow the use of small barreled back up guns on duty.

Now many say that the 147gr maybe a good choice but I have always been a "Show Me" type of person that likes to see solid, reliable testing results before making a defensive ammunition choice.

Would anyone know what the expansion window velocity wise for the Federal HST 147gr loading is?
My agency hosted a ballistics workshop today for ATK. In 9mm the three rounds tested were the following:

Federal HST 147 gr (P9HST2)
Speer 124 gr +P (53617)
Winchester 147gr JHP (WWB - Current issued duty load)

The test gun was a M&P9 (4" barrel). Bare Gel, 4 layer denim, wall board and auto glass tests were done.

After, that, bare gel tests were done with a M&P9c (3.5" barrel). The penetration of the HST round was exactly the same with the M&P9c as with the M&P9 (14.25").

I had a personally owned Kahr PM9 that I included. A bare gel shot of all three rounds was conducted. The penetration of the HST round only increased to 15". I don't have the other figures as the data sheet is at the range with our Range Master. But the minimum and maximum expansion, and retained weight of the HST round from the 3.5" M&P9c to the 3" PM9 wasn't enough to get excited about.

I am sure of the data as I was the one doing the measuring for this workshop. (ATK prefers to not have their personnel do the measuring.)

Bottom line, I personally would not worry about the 147 gr HST in a 3" PM9.

Other things I might mention: The Federal flight control 00Buck loading is amazing. Our current reduced recoil 00 Buck grouped 11" at 50'. The Federal flight control loading grouped 5.5" out of the same 870 at 50".

The Speer 38spc 135gr +P out of my S&W 642 went 11.5" in bare gel, and looked picture perfect in the uniformity of it's expansion.

Shooting a 9mm 147gr HST round and a 230gr 45 HST round into the same block of gel is an eye opening experience. Both rounds penetrated to exactly the same distance. Carrying 17 rds of 9mm vs 10 rds of 45? A no brainer for me...

Kent and Johann from ATK were a class act. Johann really knows what he's talking about and is an interesting guy to talk with. But after spending the day with him, I now feel the need to go buy a folding Strider knife!

Next week, Winchester is coming out. Will see how the 147gr Ranger loading performs out of the PM9.