Page 72 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Comp muzzle brake

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGGodfather View Post
    We don't shoot a lot of Wolf, but we have run about 100 rounds out of 2,500+ fired. Didn't notice any strange sparking, but it certainly happened to you!

Been shooting quite a bit of Hornady training ammo lately, and it's been great.
    Meh, I don't shoot wolf so it's not a problem, more of a curiosity. I was on an indoor range when I noticed it. I need to get my hands on some of the Hornady 55 gr. training ammo. The 75 gr. variety shoots very well for me, but the 55 gr. makes more economical sense for range use. I'm loving the BC! It makes me want to get out to the range and shoot even more often!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    Meh, I don't shoot wolf so it's not a problem, more of a curiosity. I was on an indoor range when I noticed it. I need to get my hands on some of the Hornady 55 gr. training ammo. The 75 gr. variety shoots very well for me, but the 55 gr. makes more economical sense for range use. I'm loving the BC! It makes me want to get out to the range and shoot even more often!
    Glad to hear it! It's been a lot of fun on this end, too. Too bad we can't get royalties from the ammo companies with all of the ammunition everyone seems to burn through!

Again, thanks for all of the support and the faith you've placed in us. It is truly appreciated.

Best to everyone,
    Alan
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    i've done quite a bit of various prone position shooting, weapon up, weapon sideways, over dirt, grass, concrete, etc... it does jet some, obviously, but i dont think any more than an A2. not nearly as much as side port only brakes. with the closed bottom, it's just as good as anything else out there for straight up prone shooting.

sounds like you might have gotten some funky powder in your batch. i've seen "sparky" ammo, and i really don't think the muzzle device does much for or against it.

---

fired my battlecomped tenfive without earpro the other day.. one shot was enough. damn electronic earpro makes it easy to forget. i was surprised that it wasn't worse than it was. i'd guess in the sound-absorbing confines of a residential dwelling, you could get through a whole mag before blood dribbled out your ears.

its always surprising the stark contrast between ear-pro'd sound and raw report. my nailgun at work is the same way- muted thump, thump, thump, thump- till i take my earpro off. then it's crack, crack, crack, crack. but for as much as the B/C booms with earpro on, i still expected an eardrum shattering shockwave of concussion... instead, it actually sounded a little higher pitched than an A2. if my memory is sound, my old 4" 45 was louder than the B/C'd 10.5- at least it made my ears ring worse.

You're a brave man, Ben.

Cracking the sound barrier just can't make the ear splitting all that pleasant. I thought BSHNT was pushing it with just Surefire earplugs at our indoor range with steel plates on the walls.

Our teams run with the MSA Sordin microphones, so they should be pretty good indoors, what with drywall and stucco -- and the occasional concrete and steel.

From our testing perspective, an indoor range with steel plates surrounding us was as bad as the noise or concussion could get. Noise and concussion, of course, are not eliminated -- but to a man, none of us, including DocGKR -- found any of it objectionable, or enough to throw off our partners' sight pictures.

Of course, full-auto mag dumps are just plain fun -- and fun can make all sorts of stuff more tolerable.

Be safe,
    Alan
    Last edited by PRGGodfather; 08-10-10 at 23:58.
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Ok, so I went out yesterday, in the 93 degree heat and 90% humidity to test out the new BC 1.0. Yeah, not ideal conditions, but I have some days off, and I need to know how well this thing works! I went out with the following for test/comparison purposes:

A BCM 16" LW middy with DD omega rail, and T-1, with the BC 1.0, a BCM 16" LW middy with standard handguards and A2 hider, a 14.5" gov't middy with standard handguards and A2X, a BCM 14.5" M4 with A2X and EoTech, and the 20" A4 for poops and giggles.

The Battle Comp middy and the 14.5" middy were running H buffers, and the other 16" LW middy and M4 were running carbine buffers. The 20"er was running a rifle buffer, obviously.

I noticed the Battle Comp middy (referred to as "BC" middy from here on out) was for sure easier on recoil and muzzle jump than any others tested. Ammo was Remington 55gr UMC. Noise and blast, even under the covered firing point, was not noticeably different between the BC and others, for some reason. Good.

After several drills and double and triple taps, it was obvious, the BC 1.0 works. I would say follow up shots were definitely faster with the BC in place, with no other drawbacks noted.

Enter today...giving my evaluation some thought, and trying to decide if I want my next 14.5" upper to have a permanent BC 1.5, I have some concerns....did I conduct a fair test, with both rifles being equal? No, not really, the BC middy had an H buffer and added weight of a FF rail and optic. The other LW middy had neither.

So, today, I went out again. This time, in the 95 degree heat and 90+% humidity. Yikes. I put two identical BCM LW .625" FSB middys on MOE and H buffer equipped lowers, one with the BC 1.0, and the other with a standard A2 hider:

Shooting back to back, I could not only see an improvement in less muzzle jump, but less overall recoil as well. The BC equipped rifle tended to recoil a bit to the right. This is expected, and if I were left handed, it would probably recoil a bit to the left. Thats just the way it is. The BC rifle was for sure a bit faster on follow up shots.

I also fired my 14.5" middy with A2X, and have to say, it is near as tame as the BC equipped 16" LW middy!

After the two days of comparison, I have to rate recoil shootability in the following order:

BC 16" LW
    14.5" middy with A2X (very close second)
    20" A4
    A2 16" LW
    14.5" M4 carbine with A2x

Considering my data and results, I can only imagine how sweet a 14.5" middly with a BC 1.5 may be, but I like the thought!

I do have reservations, however, on how long the BC device will last, and its expected life span. I need a permanent device on my next upper, and am a bit apprehensive about a device that may have a reduced life expectancy.

Bottom line, I like it. I think it probably has more benefit on a carbine, and with full pressure ammo, but I like it.
    Last edited by Jimbo45; 08-11-10 at 22:04.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You're a brave man, Ben.
    to play on one of TK's favorite lines- never attribute bravery to that which can easily be explained by stupidity.

just forgot my earpro

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo45 View Post
    Ok, so I went out yesterday, in the 93 degree heat and 90% humidity to test out the new BC 1.0. Yeah, not ideal conditions, but I have some days off, and I need to know how well this thing works! I went out with the following for test/comparison purposes:

A BCM 16" LW middy with DD omega rail, and T-1, with the BC 1.0, a BCM 16" LW middy with standard handguards and A2 hider, a 14.5" gov't middy with standard handguards and A2X, a BCM 14.5" M4 with A2X and EoTech, and the 20" A4 for poops and giggles.

The Battle Comp middy and the 14.5" middy were running H buffers, and the other 16" LW middy and M4 were running carbine buffers. The 20"er was running a rifle buffer, obviously.

I noticed the Battle Comp middy (referred to as "BC" middy from here on out) was for sure easier on recoil and muzzle jump than any others tested. Ammo was Remington 55gr UMC. Noise and blast, even under the covered firing point, was not noticeably different between the BC and others, for some reason. Good.

After several drills and double and triple taps, it was obvious, the BC 1.0 works. I would say follow up shots were definitely faster with the BC in place, with no other drawbacks noted.

Enter today...giving my evaluation some thought, and trying to decide if I want my next 14.5" upper to have a permanent BC 1.5, I have some concerns....did I conduct a fair test, with both rifles being equal? No, not really, the BC middy had an H buffer and added weight of a FF rail and optic. The other LW middy had neither.

So, today, I went out again. This time, in the 95 degree heat and 90+% humidity. Yikes. I put two identical BCM LW .625" FSB middys on MOE and H buffer equipped lowers, one with the BC 1.0, and the other with a standard A2 hider:

Shooting back to back, I could not only see an improvement in less muzzle jump, but less overall recoil as well. The BC equipped rifle tended to recoil a bit to the right. This is expected, and if I were left handed, it would probably recoil a bit to the left. Thats just the way it is. The BC rifle was for sure a bit faster on follow up shots.

I also fired my 14.5" middy with A2X, and have to say, it is near as tame as the BC equipped 16" LW middy!

After the two days of comparison, I have to rate recoil shootability in the following order:

BC 16" LW
    14.5" middy with A2X (very close second)
    20" A4
    A2 16" LW
    14.5" M4 carbine with A2x

Considering my data and results, I can only imagine how sweet a 14.5" middly with a BC 1.5 may be, but I like the thought!

I do have reservations, however, on how long the BC device will last, and its expected life span. I need a permanent device on my next upper, and am a bit apprehensive about a device that may have a reduced life expectancy.

Bottom line, I like it. I think it probably has more benefit on a carbine, and with full pressure ammo, but I like it.
    Thanks for the apples to apples testing!

Well, we at BCE are officially still in the dark, but SOCOM has a BC1.0 at Shaw's for torture testing, with an intention of running some 10K rounds per week for 4 weeks through it. The goal is to see if the BC1.0 can survive a full 40K rounds, recognizing most barrels only live to about 10-15K. We contacted SOCOM earlier this week, and they told us it would be just a bit longer...

We can say it's been well over three weeks, and they haven't told us it's blown up yet -- so IMHO, no news is good news. We are eagerly awaiting SOCOM's report.

Best,
    Alan
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Well, we at BCE are officially still in the dark, but SOCOM has a BC1.0 at Shaw's for torture testing, with an intention of running some 10K rounds per week for 4 weeks through it. The goal is to see if the BC1.0 can survive a full 40K rounds, recognizing most barrels only live to about 10-15K. We contacted SOCOM earlier this week, and they told us it would be just a bit longer...

We can say it's been well over three weeks, and they haven't told us it's blown up yet -- so IMHO, no news is good news. We are eagerly awaiting SOCOM's report.

Best,
    Alan
    That's great! Please keep us advised on the results.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Best,
    Alan
    Simply outstanding. Looking forward to the report as well..........just like updates on the BC1.5.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Best,
    Alan
    Torture testing on someone else's ammo dime... pure genius! Looking forward to hearing how well the 1.0 fared in the tests.

Feedback Score
    Alan,

Thanks for my BCE cap. Looks sharp in coyote brown. Just the right size too!
    -Jon

Last edited by TRUST8383; 08-13-10 at 15:08.

Page 72 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast