Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: IWC QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT as installed into a MOE

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Wow, I just looked at my order invoice. IWC wrote a hand written, personalized "Thank you for your order" on it.

You guys go above and beyond. Next Magpul maybe?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Earl is what we call in the South, "good people". Can't go wrong there...
    Remember, the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd Amendment... to combat tyranny. Sadly, when people discuss the 2nd Amendment, the opponents erroneously think it was meant to stand alone... it HAS a preamble:

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

— John Hancock

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Wow, I just looked at my order invoice. IWC wrote a hand written, personalized "Thank you for your order" on it.

You guys go above and beyond. Next Magpul maybe?
    Yup, good stuff.

Feedback Score
    Day before yesterday I mounted the micro QD on my Magpull MOE carbine length. I used HeavyDuty's mounting technique with a couple of exceptions. First I marked the extended lines of the vent slot, using masking tape and then marked the center line between the lines. I then inserted a pencil in the end of the slot and used a CD case (0.150"ish thick) to gain a little more off set and then marked my drill point using the spur of the Forstner bit. Drilled the hole using my cordless drill and cleaned up the hole using my pocket knife. When I inserted the mount the tapped hole in the ear on the slot side was almost perfectly aligned with the radius at the end of the slot. I struggled getting the clip installed, due to the hump, but finally got there without filing on the hump. The micro qd mount was remarkably flush inside.

What will I do differently when I repeat the job on the next upper?

First I will work in full daylight. Tangling with the ring under marginal lighting is the pits.
    Second I will add a 5/8" forstner bit to the mix. I will set up the same way described before and then go to the drill press and feed down and "spot face" the edge of the hump till the bit is ready to touch on the slot side. Then use the 1/2" forstner to go on through the hand guard. This will leave a 1/16" (half of the 1/8" difference in diameter) wide arc in the hump which will make installing the ring easier. I had no need to spot drill the receiver end setscrew contact area. The recess for the hump was there and the screw bit fine with the help of a little thumb pressure on the back of the mount.

All told the installation took me maybe 30 minutes of real work plus, 20 minutes of looking around on the floor for the dropped (at least 4x)retaining ring, ten minutes to doctor and stop the bleeding from the stab wound, in my index finger, from the retaining ring pointy end, and 10 minutes looking for my Blue loctite.

By the way the correct allen wrench size is 2mm. My mount did not come with an allen but then I had a set in the tool chest.

All told I'm pleased with the installation on my carbine. No pictures from me because my digital foo is weak and the black mount on a black stock would not show up all that well anyway. Besides it looks like the other photos folks posted about their carbine installs.

Earl is a great guy to talk with and recommended using the long screw in the slot on the forward end of the mount, because of the limited installation room on the carbine length MOE handguard.
    Semper Paratus
    (Always Prepared)

Feedback Score
    Can this sling mount be used on STANDARD handguards?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by urbankaos04 View Post
    Can this sling mount be used on STANDARD handguards?
    A guy over on TOS successfully mounted one in an M4 handguard, if that helps...
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I would say the MOE handguards are stronger. Anyone else?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    A guy over on TOS successfully mounted one in an M4 handguard, if that helps...
    Happen to have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I would say the MOE handguards are stronger. Anyone else?
    If the standard HGs are not strong enough then I doubt I will do this. However, I do see that IWC does market a TOP MOUNT sling attachment point that uses the top ventilation holes as the point of attachment. If standard HGs are not strong enough I wonder why IWC would make such a mount?
    Last edited by urbankaos04; 04-21-11 at 19:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by urbankaos04 View Post
    Happen to have a link?
    If the standard HGs are not strong enough then I doubt I will do this. However, I do see that IWC does market a TOP MOUNT sling attachment point that uses the top ventilation holes as the point of attachment. If standard HGs are not strong enough I wonder why IWC would make such a mount?
    The Standard A2 / M4 hand guards are strong enough. IWC makes a full line of fully tested and warranted MOUNT-N-SLOT mounts for these hand guards. To date, we have not received one report of failure. Our customer base includes Patrol LEO as well as civilian shooters.

As for your question about placing the QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT in an M4 HG, I talked extensively with MikePapa95 about his install and afterwards. He's in LE and uses his AR on patrol. No report of any issue. His post on the install is on ar15.com under AR, then the slings sub-forum.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I think you said we could order handguards with the mount installed but I am having trouble finding it as an option on your web site.

I went here to the link you provided is this the right page?

http://store.impactweaponscomponents.com/qdmimo.html

Just called and spoke to Earl. On a Sunday! He said they're about two weeks out so I am going to sit tight and wait. I need a new set of MOE handguards and I will order from him with the mount installed. Off to order the HK Style Sling mount from MOUNT-N-SLOT which will work for my gun with M4 handguards.

Thanks Earl.
    This is what I want to do as well and it looks like the website is ready for orders. Thank you for a solution to a pondering problem. I will be ordering shortly.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast