Thread: When To Choose A .308 Over 5.56?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Yup.
    300 Blk is interesting to me in that subsonic is great from a suppressed 9.5, and going supersonic makes the 9.5 viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    I'm confused - I was only comparing .300BLK to 5.56, not .308 (which I acknowledge is a little off the original topic). I was asking because I see a lot of references to .300BLK being ideal for suppressed sub-10.5" SBRs, but it's my understanding that it still offers ballistic benefits over 5.56 in SBRs even if you're not suppressing it. A lot of people feel that you start to run into reliability and terminal performance issues with 5.56 SBRs under 11.5", so I was just curious why people don't seem to recommend .300BLK even in an unsuppressed SBR:

Is it just because there's no real benefit to a 10.5" .300BLK when you can go shorter and still have good performance?

Dave
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Yup.
    300 Blk is interesting to me in that subsonic is great from a suppressed 9.5, and going supersonic makes the 9.5 viable.
    Thanks, Jack. If I go the LMT MRP SBR route, I'll probably get the 10.5" .300BLK barrel just because it will be interchangeable with the 5.56 barrel, even if it's more length than needed for that round.

Dave