Thread: Why we do it.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Since I've moved into a staff job that doesn't give me the opportunity to train as much; I've been looking at IDPA/USPSA as an alternative to keeping my skills honed. Going to the range and shooting static by myself is really getting old after 6-7 weeks.
    The biggest problem is in this area the closest IDPA matches are a 90 minute drive and I'm not aware of any USPSA or three gun matches locally.

Feedback Score
    Competitions are a big help so long as you remember they teach you to shoot, not how to fight.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Drag View Post
    Competitions are a big help so long as you remember they teach you to shoot, not how to fight.
    That's all I'm looking for, something to get time pressing the trgger faster than one shot per second at a bullseye target. Tactics I believe can be worked in if you're not worried about winning, but I'm not looking to get tactics or winning out of it.

Edit: But it would be a nice biproduct

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Drag View Post
    Exactly, competition ain't training........and training ain't competition.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Fighting is the ultimate competition....

Hitting ones target while fighting is the only way to win, applying good tactics do you no good if your not competent enough with your weapon to take advantage of said skill set. Unless your tactic is to run away.

Fighting is thinking- Gaming is thinking. The best fighters I know think!!!!...... and are not in the rut mindset.

Do whatever it takes to stay intouch with your trigger, practice, classes and/or yes games.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It is ultimately your endeavor, and to stand in the arena before others
    Alot of people are scared to even do that. Some are humbled so bad that they won't ever try again.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Alot of people are scared to even do that. Some are humbled so bad that they won't ever try again.
    Yep your right I've seen many of those. Some even justify their hurt pride by preaching competition develops bad habits and try to guide those less knowlegable against even trying...........

I remember the first time I shot an IPSC match in 87. I was humbled, even beaten down by a Master Class shooter in the shootoff's on poppers. He had 6 poppers down before I got sight alignment on my second popper, that was the first run, the second run I was so flustered I didn't even hit the first popper before he was done........

I remember saying to myself- Im gonna kick his ass and exceed his skill level someday.............

Feedback Score
    I've been feeling a bit of burnout lately. I know this because I've let considerations of the cost of ammo, match fees, and gasoline factor heavily into whether or not I shoot a given match. It tells me I don't really want to do it that badly right now.

So right now the "why I do it" is ambiguous. It's partially habit, and partially for the social aspects. The fact that it's my only practice is currently a distant third. It's still fun, but not as much fun for the last few months. I suspect that I will recharge during the winter and be ready to go again in the spring.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I haven't seen this in GA. Everybody is so laid back, except the AMU, that new shooters are made to feel welcome. Everyone has a learning curve. Shooters are generally cool and everyone shares a common interest.

If individuals don't have the commitment to improve their shooting then....being humbled makes one realize how much there is left to learn. Go dry-fire, practice, and implement a consistent training regimen that challenges your skill set.