Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Good 380 B.U.G. ?

Feedback Score
    Something to mention about the LCP trigger is the "false" trigger reset. I shot alot off of feel, after you shot a round off you release the trigger and feel the "click" 99.9% of weapons this means that it's time to pull the trigger again, WRONG the LCP has 2 clicks the first about 1/4 of the way forward and the last which is the real reset happen all the way forward. This is my main gripe with the LCP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Robb hooked me up with a Ruger LCP back when they were rarer than hen's teeth. Sample of one and all that, but mine has been a spectacular little handgun for what it is. I've fired about 800 rounds through my LCP with no malfunctions. It does seem to bog down a bit if it is bone dry, so I try to keep it reasonably well lubricated.

I also added the CT laser module to my LCP. I think the CT laser is a must-have addition to a weapon like the LCP because the usability of the sights is poor in anything approaching low light conditions. They can still be used well enough to shoot reasonably small groups at 10 yards, but on anything that doesn't match ideal outdoor range conditions it will be a struggle to use them with any precision.

That's a rapid-fire group done by pulling the trigger as fast as I could get a decent laser reference. I fired six shots, reloaded, then fired six more. You can't really ask much more than that from a mousegun.
    I always wondered how much hard use you could get out of a LCP and I'm pleasantly surprised to hear this. This light weight mouse gun has to beat up your hand after a box or two of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by captbarty View Post
    NAA .380 Guardian. Rohrbaugh if you want to spend the money (remember, it's use is basically as a "belly gun") I'm surprised no one has mentioned PPK, unless I missed it. Nicely made but for the price and size, one can do better.
    I had a NAA .380 Guardian. I put a few hundred rounds through it. It is a good bug, but wish the trigger was a few pounds lighter. I ended up giving it to my niece. If I had to go with a .380, the Walter PPK would be my choice or a Makarov, for the extra "Oomph" over the .380.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 01-14-11 at 20:49.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Paul, you have always been kind and prompt with helping me as a customer so I will try to give my $0.02 from my experience and somewhat of the talk I give customers at the shop asking me the very same question.

First and foremost, anything that is to be a "pocket" gun is not going to be a good range gun, so comfort while shooting comes down to what can you bare and how much do you really intend to practice with this thing. I have an LCP which I bought because a customer traded it in and I couldn't pass up the price, that being said it usually collects dust in a pocket as a strict backup gun and rarely is used as primary CCW. The .380 is better than throwing rocks, but I'd rather have a 9mm or 38 spcl. What I try to explain to customers, especially those who I know shoot a lot, is that the cost of .380 ammo is about double that of 9mm and almost double that of 38 spcl. (talking FMJ here).

The ruger, or keltec, or Sig might be cheap, but shoot it often and the thought of cheap will never come into your mind again. If you can pocket an LCP you can pocket a J frame as well. J frames have an inherently more reliable design (revolver vs semi auto) and the rounds are more potent and cheaper to practice with. Neither gun is a "pleasure" to shoot a lot of rounds with, but what backup/off duty gun is.

I myself did not find the LCP bad to shoot and grouped well with it from 7 yards in both one and two handed, but it really is a one handed weapon. There isn't much real estate to grab. The revolvers will depend on it's grip and the size of your hands as well.

I still say that there is no reason why one can't comfortable CCW a subcompact Glock, HK, M&P, etc, but some circumstances do require a smaller weapon and I get that. I ended up selling my LCP because it just wasn't getting much use, and it was tiny and I'm not a fan of small pistols. For "my"uses I can dress around compact and full size guns for carry, even for when on my bike in the summer in South, FL.

There is nothing wrong with the G27 your buddy has, but if he does want/need something smaller there's nothing wrong with a boringly reliable revolver that you can carry in your pocket, apendix, IWB, ankle, etc.

Just my $0.02

Let us know what he decides.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Rest in Peace - Chuck Petrie

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Paul,

The new Kimber SOLO 9mm is something to consider as well. We just got this one in yesterday. I'll be shooting it tomorrow morning and giving it back to my boss on Monday. These will MSRP for $723 but I think we'll be selling them for $659 with our normal mark up. The trigger is very nice, it's striker fired and has a nice reset and does have a manual safety as well. I do wish it were checkered on the front and back strap but maybe that's in the works. Crimson Trace is working on a laser for it and I'm sure Mepro will have night sights for it very soon as well.

Here's some pics of it next to my custom Kimber Warrior .45 1911.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fmjoe View Post
    My interest is officially piqued.
    Ditto...hopefully a fullsize, slim, single stack M&P will follow.

Feedback Score
    My Keltec P3AT is seven years old and has never let me down. FWIR, Ruger bought the design from KT so I don't think there is much difference between the two. One thing I will say about Keltec is that they have superior customer service.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Robb, if you find the time could put up a pic of it with another subcompact like the PM9 or LCP, or something else you have on hand?
    My fear is that ahh, the whole island will ahh, become so overly populated, that it will tip over and ahh, and capsize...
    Hank Johnson (D) GA YouTube

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
    Robb, if you find the time could put up a pic of it with another subcompact like the PM9 or LCP, or something else you have on hand?
    Here you go Ruger LCP, Kimber SOLO, Glock 19.

Kimber SOLO 9mm and Ruger LCP .380

Kimber SOLO and Glock 19.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Excellent, thanks Robb. You get a chance to shoot it yet?

I cant wait to see what S&W drops at SHOT. Hope whatever it is that it will actually be available shortly (not like some of the optics I have been waiting for after last year).
    My fear is that ahh, the whole island will ahh, become so overly populated, that it will tip over and ahh, and capsize...
    Hank Johnson (D) GA YouTube

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
    Excellent, thanks Robb. You get a chance to shoot it yet?

I cant wait to see what S&W drops at SHOT. Hope whatever it is that it will actually be available shortly (not like some of the optics I have been waiting for after last year).
    Not yet. I'll be shooting the Kimber SOLO tomorrow. S&W is supposed to have a M&P single stack 9mm and a Bodyguard 9mm pistol. Ruger is also coming out with a LC9.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast