Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel Question(s)

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot for the responses, especially TRIDENT82 for taking the time to make such informative posts.

This thread has confirmed my questions/reservations in regards to this topic. I wanted to make sure the ideals I wanted to build this rifle on were correct and not misplaced. I am not saying this is the only correct way to build a precision based AR15 for up to ~500 yards but it seems this particular setup will work for me.

As far as parts and the actual barrel I plan to use; that's the next step. Although TRIDENT82 has given me a great lead for that. I noticed BCM has the Recce 16" barrels, so most likely that will be my choice for this particular rifle/build.

On this build I plan to concentrate on 3 important parts: trigger, barrel and optic while purchasing the correct quality parts/accessories to bring it all together.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice to see some 10 round groups being used to measure group sizes instead of 3 round coincidences.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Keep studying, there are a lot of superior barrel options available. It seems that middies have come into their own with quite a few options becoming available the past year.

I'd recommend a minumum of a 16" barrel on your first gun because the FH is not permanently attached, so you be able to change parts out experimenting, tweaking, etc.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    Thanks a lot for the responses, especially TRIDENT82 for taking the time to make such informative posts.

This thread has confirmed my questions/reservations in regards to this topic. I wanted to make sure the ideals I wanted to build this rifle on were correct and not misplaced. I am not saying this is the only correct way to build a precision based AR15 for up to ~500 yards but it seems this particular setup will work for me.

As far as parts and the actual barrel I plan to use; that's the next step. Although TRIDENT82 has given me a great lead for that. I noticed BCM has the Recce 16" barrels, so most likely that will be my choice for this particular rifle/build.

On this build I plan to concentrate on 3 important parts: trigger, barrel and optic while purchasing the correct quality parts/accessories to bring it all together.

Thanks again.
    You seem like your a fan of measuring twice, cutting once and I do think you had already done some sound research in regards to the best precision length for your needs.

Precision AR's can make you want to puke w. dejection and frustration, but its this tediousness and very almost scientific quality that makes them such awesome and very rewarding builds to do.

A traditional M4 or 1x/low var. non precision build is easily more fun to actually "shoot" and I love them perhaps equally as much as precision builds, that said...no other builds can compare to just how rewarding it is when you hit your defined goal of precision with the said build. Your margin of error or failure on a precision build will stick out like a spotlight each and every new group and unlike the far less "measured accuracy" of any other type of AR, your success or failure for a particular range visit will be determined by maybe a 1/4" in avg. group size once a particular build gets about locked down in terms of right components. This makes for quite a number of miserable, "I suck", car ride homes from the range.

I hope you keep us updated on this future build and your spot on when you mentioned focusing on those three key areas to precision....get all three in a relative harmony and your gonna shoot a nat's ass off @ 100yds.

eta...that BCM Recce you mentioned would make an excellent pick for your upcoming barrel and I have heard several positive reviews about that particular barrel.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 01-06-11 at 00:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

Keep studying, there are a lot of superior barrel options available. It seems that middies have come into their own with quite a few options becoming available the past year.

I'd recommend a minumum of a 16" barrel on your first gun because the FH is not permanently attached, so you be able to change parts out experimenting, tweaking, etc.
    It is being used as a starting point, i'm not set on any particular part/name brand at the moment.

As of right now I am more interested in understanding the ideals of the parts themselves rather than the parts. I want to build a strong understanding of theories (for lack of a better word) of how to build this particular rifle.

Once I am set on what I chose to believe will work best, then I plan to take time and figure out which part in this case the barrel will be best suited. Although I am open to suggestions as this helps greatly.

This isn't my first rifle and that is exactly why I want to build the next few to have a single purpose (or two). For example this rifle will have a high powered scope/optic and a bi-pod, it won't be my choice if I hear something going bump in the night. It will be my 6920 that is 100% stock with iron sights as I have a good amount of rounds through it and feel I do a decent job to distances out to 100 yards with it; in other words I am comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    You seem like your a fan of measuring twice, cutting once and I do think you had already done some sound research in regards to the best precision length for your needs.

Precision AR's can make you want to puke w. dejection and frustration, but its this tediousness and very almost scientific quality that makes them such awesome and very rewarding builds to do.

A traditional M4 or 1x/low var. non precision build is easily more fun to actually "shoot" and I love them perhaps equally as much as precision builds, that said...no other builds can compare to just how rewarding it is when you hit your defined goal of precision with the said build. Your margin of error or failure on a precision build will stick out like a spotlight each and every new group and unlike the far less "measured accuracy" of any other type of AR, your success or failure for a particular range visit will be determined by maybe a 1/4" in avg. group size once a particular build gets about locked down in terms of right components. This makes for quite a number of miserable, "I suck", car ride homes from the range.

I hope you keep us updated on this future build and your spot on when you mentioned focusing on those three key areas to precision....get all three in a relative harmony and your gonna shoot a nat's ass off @ 100yds.

eta...that BCM Recce you mentioned would make an excellent pick for your upcoming barrel and I have heard several positive reviews about that particular barrel.
    Thanks, yes, after making so many mistakes one learns patience and the importance of understanding.

I have had many of those rides; for example, my first time shooting 100 yards with iron sights, I wasted over ~250 rounds and barely hit the target (not the 10" bullseye section but the entire target). Like an idiot I didn't take time to learn the sights, how to adjust them and zero them. Next trip (after researching a bit), I was able to keep a full magazines worth of rounds within the bullseye with a good amount of them in the X ring (10 if I remember correctly). I've only improved since.

I am looking forward to be able to accurately fire 1 shot and hit the designated area with the consistency to do it over and over again. I don't believe one-time qualifies as being accurate. This is my goal for this rifle. Consistent accuracy time and time again.

I do think it is going to take a good about of range time and foresee ammo and range fee's being the greater expense when it comes to not only building it but being able to achieve its full potential including myself as it won't be possible without both (me and rifle).

With that being said, there is a local gun show coming up and if I can't find a few good lowers to take home at a decent price, I will probably purchase a few of the Palmetto State Armory Lowers, they are made by Aero Precision, as I have only found great reviews on them and they are being offered at a great price.

Thanks again for the responses and feedback, suggestions and more info is always welcome.
    Last edited by ColtJ; 01-06-11 at 16:04.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12