Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Lots of good info but I really liked this part and did some research. Looks like these guys are pretty shit hot, http://www.acesecuritylaminates.com/index.htm, after watching a few comparison videos to 3M. Google: window security film and check out the videos.

Also the box strike, as was previously mentioned, is a great idea along with a high security deadbolt. Regular do it yourself home improvement store deadbolts are easily defeated through picking, kicking and bump keys (Google it). After quite a bit of reading these guys seem to be at or near the top of the list http://www.medeco.com/.

The laminate, box strike and high security deadbolt will be the first additions to the new house before moving in in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed. Along with that I'll be getting an alarm system installed. ADT installed our current one for free along with a contract but I'm wondering if there are better options out there? Anybody have any advice or would it be better to start a new thread on electronic house security options?
I worked as a lock smith assistant as a kid growing up in Brooklyn, and we saw just about everything. Medico was the only lock he recommended. The main failing was usually the strike plate. People installed good locks, and didn't correctly install strike plates which ripped off with a simple kick. Reinforced strike plate using long screws is essential. Never saw a lock or deadbolt fail, was always the strike plates. Of course it goes without saying, solid core doors and hinges with extra long screws. If the lock does not give, a good kick the hing side can pop a door off BTW...Many a good lock put on many a crappy door.

They also make high security doors that look like residential doors, but are much tougher, and short of C4, not opening the standard method of kick, pry bar, etc.

Things like various after market strike plates help a lot, like the Strike Master and others. Went to work for the lock smith as a kid after my grandmothers house was broken into twice, once with her asleep in it!