Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrell macabe View Post
    The only thing I see that is not here is whether or not it makes a good jack handle in a pinch. I have never thought too much about buying one, yet reading your posts makes me want to. Plus, you do it in a professional, non arrogant manner. Great job.

Thanks. That post was written originally in 2006, and a lot of things have changed.

I'll have to work up an updated addition to try to make it more relevant.
    Last edited by TOrrock; 11-21-10 at 18:43.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks Templar, I have a feeling the guy was just trying to get my dad to buy an SGL because he had them at the show and he would have to order an SLR since he didn't have any there.

Feedback Score
    I noticed the safety lever tab appears to be closer to the rear than on other AK's. Is this native to the yugo AK? Is it more functional than the traditional safety levers?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    I noticed the safety lever tab appears to be closer to the rear than on other AK's. Is this native to the yugo AK? Is it more functional than the traditional safety levers?

I honestly never really noticed a difference in the ergos between a Yugo lever and any other military lever.

The Yugo underfolders have a safety that has an extra tab towards the rear of the lever that makes it much easier to disengage the safety while the stock is folded, but it doesn't necessarily make it faster or easier vs. a standard selector, or allow you to disengage the selector without breaking your master grip.

This is a pic that I took....6 years ago, of the Mitchell Arms imported Yugo I had. It also shows the construction of the Yugo reinforced RPK type receiver and trunnion.

Feedback Score
    Hey Templar.

Would you say getting an AK-105 R from Arsenal and having it converted to an AK-105 SBR is a good idea? (I remember reading that it's a 12.7'' barrel.)

I'd replace the flash suppressor, and try to find Galil furniture.

If I were to build an AK the requirements would be that the front sight is integral to the gas block, it has to be milled, 7.62x39mm, and needs to be an SBR.

Is this a good way to accomplish that? Thanks.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 11-22-10 at 17:45.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Hey Templar.

Would you say getting an AK-105 R from Arsenal and having it converted to an AK-105 SBR is a good idea? (I remember reading that it's a 12.7'' barrel.)

I'd replace the flash suppressor, and try to find Galil furniture.

If I were to build an AK the requirements would be that the front sight is integral to the gas block, it has to be milled, 7.62x39mm, and needs to be an SBR.

Is this a good way to accomplish that? Thanks.

Arsenal doesn't make a milled receiver rifle with the front sight on the gas block, so you'd have to build what you're looking for using one of the SLR-100 Bulgarian receivers that might be floating around, or a Firing Line milled receiver made in the USA.

Do you have a link for the model that you listed? The SLR-105A1/A1R was a 5.45x39mm rifle that was imported for a while, and they were standard AK-74's with stamped receivers.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I was getting them mixed up. Though I really don't know how...

http://www.arsenalinc.com/sam7rb.htm

If somebody cut the barrel, and I replaced the gas block, do you think this would work and the gun would still function well?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sorry, I was getting them mixed up. Though I really don't know how...

http://www.arsenalinc.com/sam7rb.htm

If somebody cut the barrel, and I replaced the gas block, do you think this would work and the gun would still function well?

It probably would, but I'd contact one of the well known, well respected AK smiths about it.

The milled receiver is going to limit your stock choices, but you can get an ACE stock set up and have a smith cut the two tangs that hold the buttstock on to install it.

Feedback Score
    The ACE stock is actually the exact stock I wanted.

Thanks for the help Templar.

One more thing: Do you know where to find the gas block I'm looking for?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The ACE stock is actually the exact stock I wanted.

Thanks for the help Templar.

One more thing: Do you know where to find the gas block I'm looking for?
    If anyone would, it would be K-Var, but they don't list any.

You can get the entire barrel assembly, but again, I'd contact someone like Mario at Piece of History Firearms before making the purchase, to get his take on whether it's useable and how much it would run to put your project together.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=274&page=1

Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast