Having been a part of a number of forums, I have seen this particular phenomenon happen pretty frequently. I don't think that Rob has bad advice; quite the contrary in fact. However, I think that a lot of this is preaching to the choir as it were.

In my short time here, I mostly keep my yap shut and try to absorb as much sage advice as I can. I know how to use the search function and have handled a few of my own questions via well placed pm's to knowledgable individuals. It doesn't take long on a forum to figure out who those people are. I don't have any evidential proof to verify this, but I would surmise that a good many of your newer members fall into this pattern. There are always going to be those noisy few who like the sound of their own voice (virtually speaking) and blurt out the first question that pops into their head without using the search function. Maybe they are lazy or they are just horrible at boolean logic; who knows.

The optimist in me hopes that everyone would read Rob's post and benefit from it. There is good forum etiquette here that transcends M4C. On the other hand, the skeptic in me has seen forums with stickies a mile long of MUST READ INFO for newbies that goes largely ignored by everyone but the choir.

Forums have a personality unique to each board. Anyone who doesn't take the time to get to know the forum isn't going to take the time to sort through mountains of incredibly valuable information to learn something. Laziness and entitlement permeate all aspects of our culture, so it is no surprise to see it here. I would suggest that if folks get their knickers in a wad or get their feelings hurt on an internet forum then decide to take their ball and go home...well, good riddance. Some folks need a ration of shit or a frequent reality check.

For the most part, this site is largely devoid of the drama queen shit I've seen on other sites. This is a good place and thanks to the tireless efforts of Rob and others it will continue to be such.