Thread: .223 with vmax and or varmint grenades?

Feedback Score

.223 with vmax and or varmint grenades?

Okay, I have to ask. How would these rounds do for self defense and or home defense? I know they expand fast, very fast so how would they do for stopping people. I don't think I would want to be shot by one. I use them for squirrels and they do the job quite well.

Feedback Score
    Check out DocGKRs posts on effective .223/5.56 loads.

Then read the posts about the LeMas ammo, with particular attention to the part where Dr Roberts finds that they are hi-velocity varmint loads, and the attendant poor terminal effects in human-size targets.

Bottom line - people aren't squirrels.

Feedback Score
    True people are not squirrels but would it put a big hurt on them? Im not sure if they being shot with one would want to keep trying to hurt my family. not sure though

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Robert View Post
    True people are not squirrels but would it put a big hurt on them? Im not sure if they being shot with one would want to keep trying to hurt my family. not sure though
    I doubt anyone would like it at all, but why not go with a ballistically(in people) superior load and still protect your family.

Mike

Feedback Score
    True, I have the shotgun out but as a hunter I shoot more hunting rounds then I do fmj's. Although i do have some fmj's, If a couple of bad guys want to do anything stupid I'd think to hear his buddy yelling in pain would effect him more then say If he died? Most people including bad guys don't want to suffer. Just asking, personally i'd rather be shot with a 30 06 then a .223. I'm pretty sure the 06 is going to kill faster. Any opinions on that?

Feedback Score
    In a defensive shooting incident, is the goal to put a "big hurt" on the aggressor or to incapacitate them so they no longer pose a grievous threat to yourself and other innocent bystanders?

Before posting again in this forum, please read: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34714, as well as all the other "sticky" posts here: https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for posting those links Doc. I think we can close this now.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com